Welcoming some suggestions for a 3-4 day trip in VT or NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
A friend and I are planning to spend 3-4 days on an overnight trip in either VT or NH. We're trying to find a spot where we can easily hike in a few miles Friday evening, set up a base camp, and have 2 solid days worth of mountains to climb from said camp. The options for something like this seem to be limited... we've got a preference for 4,000 footers but if anyone has any suggestions for peaks with solid views all grouped around a central spot we could camp out, we'd appreciate it.

One spot I'm looking at is the Dry River Wilderness- how is the trail up along the Dry River? Is there any tenting opportunities before you get to the shelter? The shelter is 5 miles in and that may be further than we are willing to hike on Friday evening. Also, do the trails to the summits from the Dry River regularly get broken out in winter? It seems that there are easier ways to most of the summits, so this might not be the case...

How about the Pemi Wilderness? This might be preferable since it's a bit closer. It looks like we could camp along the river, but the summits of many of the peaks look pretty far away. How often do these trails get broken out in winter? What tenting opportunities are available there? I understand that Owl's Head is like the Allen of the Whites- any truth to this statement? :)

We were also thinking about doing overnights maybe on Mansfield or Camel's Hump, but aren't sure there's enough on these peaks to keep us satisfied for 2 full days of hiking...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Please indicate what time of the year as that will definitely impact the responses.

I.E. The Great Gulf is great place to camp for a few days with a lot of nice challenging loops to the summits in late spring (buggy) summer and fall, but given the potential for cornicing and in general deep snow buildup in the area, its bit less inviting in the winter. Folks do go up there in the winter, it just requires a higher skill and equipment level. So if you want to go tommorrow the suggestions may change from July trip.

Dry River doesnt get much winter use and last thing I knew the trail was still in sorry shape from Irene. A great place in warm weather but its not heavilly traveled in the winter unless someone gets lost up on the Crawford path and decides to go east.

Dry River is nice but Great Gulf is even nicer.

The Pemi area has some nice loops if you are willing to do some off trail hiking. There are several intriguing slides along the Bonds and Guyot that folks climb as well as the Owls head approach from the Lincoln col.

There is nice hiking from the wid river area in ME in the summer. The number of people going there is less and there is a good trail network.

One spot I'm looking at is the Dry River Wilderness- how is the trail up along the Dry River? Is there any tenting opportunities before you get to the shelter? The shelter is 5 miles in and that may be further than we are willing to hike on Friday evening.
The Dry River Trail is still closed. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/trails_status.php

There are some designated wilderness campsites along the trail.

I was in there in winter ~10 years ago. There were no other tracks in the snow.

Doug

Oops, I missed your one reference to winter and trails broken out.

How about this itinerary:

Day 1) Park at Lincoln Woods, (flat) hike in the LW trail ~3m to Franconia Falls area and camp (at a site or it would be very easy to establish a site in this area although I think it's restricted to >.25 miles from the existing site?)

Day 2) Out and back of the Bonds (Bondcliff will probably be broken out, as of 3/4 http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7779)

Day 3) Out and back of Owls Head (Owl's head will probably be broken out, as of 3/4 http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7773)

Day 4) Flume/Franconia Ridge from Osseo? Although I'm not sure how much traffic Osseo has seen recently. Another option would be Hancocks? Although, the Cedar Brook trail will probably not be broken from the north, though.

If I were doing this, I'd base my days on the weather and do Owl's Head on a "bad" weather day and save the others for the views. Hancocks would make for another "bad" weather hike but again you'll probably want to drive a few miles down the Kanc and approach from the hairpin-turn end of Cedar Brook, not the north side.

Last edited:
The Dry River W is closed due to bridge and extreme trail erosion from Irene. I have redlined most of the Wilderness (just need the Mt Clinton trail) and many of the trails are difficult to follow.

A very nice area is the Wild River Wilderness - Rainbow Trail and Black Angel Trail are pretty easy to follow, Moriah Brook trail scant footbed with numerous difficult water crossings.

When do you plan to visit? Many forest roads do not open until May and many water crossings remain difficult as well. I'd check on forest road status for any trail heads in the Whites (there is a sticky on this site somewhere) and the water crossings in particular in the Wild River area.

Until May many trails in the wilderness are still under snow cover and difficult to follow. I'd suggest monitoring www.newenglandtrailconditions.com to see what's getting broken out if you plan to visit the Whites in the next 6 weeks. A trip through the Pemi would be nice this time of year. Backpacking a Pemi loop with side trips to North Twin, West Bond and and even an extra night out by Owls Head (from Lincoln Woods) will give you plenty of peaks and bailouts at Zealand, North Twin, Garfield, Liberty Springs.

Have a great time and please share your report!

PS Owls Head is nothing like Allen, it's quite easy to find :) and often visited. I'd rate it closer to Marshall. Longer but pleasant walk with a climb at the end to a view less summit.

Last edited:

Dry River doesnt get much winter use and last thing I knew the trail was still in sorry shape from Irene.

The Dry River W is closed due to bridge and extreme trail erosion from Irene. I have redlined most of the Wilderness (just need the Mt Clinton trail) and many of the trails are difficult to follow.

Good to know! Thanks!

A trip through the Pemi would be nice this time of year. Backpacking a Pemi loop with side trips to North Twin, West Bond and and even an extra night out by Owls Head (from Lincoln Woods) will give you plenty of peaks and bailouts at Zealand, North Twin, Garfield, Liberty Springs.

How about this itinerary:

Day 1) Park at Lincoln Woods, (flat) hike in the LW trail ~3m to Franconia Falls area and camp (at a site or it would be very easy to establish a site in this area although I think it's restricted to >.25 miles from the existing site?)

Day 2) Out and back of the Bonds (Bondcliff will probably be broken out, as of 3/4 http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7779)

Day 3) Out and back of Owls Head (Owl's head will probably be broken out, as of 3/4 http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=7773)

Day 4) Flume/Franconia Ridge from Osseo? Although I'm not sure how much traffic Osseo has seen recently. Another option would be Hancocks? Although, the Cedar Brook trail will probably not be broken from the north, though.

If I were doing this, I'd base my days on the weather and do Owl's Head on a "bad" weather day and save the others for the views. Hancocks would make for another "bad" weather hike but again you'll probably want to drive a few miles down the Kanc and approach from the hairpin-turn end of Cedar Brook, not the north side.

So the Pemi is starting to sounds like a good option... It sounds like there is a single campsite at Franconia Falls?

BTW, this trip would be sooner, like before the end of March (sorry for not clarifying). We'll probably have two solid days to climb peaks (whether we spend the 3rd night out or not is up in the air, but even if we do, we'd be hiking out early on the fourth day), so it sounds like having a base camp at Franconia Falls, and climbing the Bonds on the day with the nicer forecast, and Owl's Head on the other day, would make for a decent itinerary.

Last edited:
I'm reading online that there are 20 primitive campsites at Franconia Falls. I've found conflicting information about whether there is a fee or not to camp there? The Forest Service Publication says there is not, so I'm assuming that is accurate...

How often does this area fill up? If we were to get there late Friday afternoon/evening, how hard will it be to find a site?

It sounds like, based on the regulations, camping is prohibited within a quarter mile of the Franconia Falls campsite, and the Pemi River downstream of the falls. Upstream of the falls, camping is prohibited within 200 feet of water and trail. So if we got there, and all the tent sites are taken, we should be able to head north up the Franconia Brook trail and extra quarter mile, then find a spot in the woods 200 feet away from trail and water, and be set.

Also, out of curiosity, how likely are crampons to be needed in the Bonds? I'm guessing pretty likely. :)

Last edited:
I'm reading online that there are 20 primitive campsites at Franconia Falls. I'm reading conflicting information about whether there is a fee or not to camp there? The Forest Service Publication says there is not, so I'm assuming that is accurate...
You might want to check the dates--there used to be a camping area right next to the Wilderness (now Lincoln Woods) Tr just before the crossing of the Franconia Branch (the wooden bridge at ~3mi). It was closed due to overuse and the campground was moved over to the E side of the river. I am not aware of any developed/designated camping near the old site.

Doug

You might want to check the dates--there used to be a camping area right next to the Wilderness (now Lincoln Woods) Tr just before the crossing of the Franconia Branch (the wooden bridge at ~3mi). It was closed due to overuse and the campground was moved over to the E side of the river. I am not aware of any developed/designated camping near the old site.

Doug

Yeah, this is the camping area I'm referring to. The publication is for all developed backcountry campsites and shelters, and has an asterisk next to all the ones that charge a fee- Franconia Falls has no asterisk (publication has no date, but looks pretty recent).

Sounds like there's no bridge, but crossing the Pemi usually isn't difficult here?

Of course, with some of the forecasted highs predicted over the next week, that could influence things. Might be best to just plan to primitive camp somewhere along Franconia Brook above the falls, sticking to the 200 foot rule.

Last edited:
This is the pamphlet on backcountry camping rules that I found: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf

This is the pamphlet on backcountry campsites that I found: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/hiking/onfoot_1-4.pdf (part 1) http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/hiking/onfoot_5-8.pdf (part 2)

I notice that it does have a note for the Franconia Falls tenting site to call the Lincoln Woods visitors center- so maybe there is a fee there after all. Other websites are saying that there is an 8 dollar per night fee. If that's true, then we'll probably just primitive camp on our own further upstream.

Last edited:
I notice that it does have a note for the Franconia Falls tenting site to call the Lincoln Woods visitors center- so maybe there is a fee there after all. Other websites are saying that there is an 8 dollar per night fee. If that's true, then we'll probably just primitive camp on our own further upstream.
Read the entry carefully: it says "East Branch Trail: 2.7mi". The East Branch Trail is on the East of the Pemi. I think you are looking for a site on the West side... (The old, now removed, site was on the West side.) Crossing the Pemi at this location may be dangerous.

I suspect that you may have to backcountry camp--much of the land in that area is wilderness. Make sure you follow the rules--the local rangers are very active about enforcing the regs.

It is interesting to ski/hike along here at night--your headlamp reveals a number of reflective signs a short distance back in the woods from the trail.

Doug

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware of the location of the new camping area- across the river on the east shore. No confusion on my part about where it's located. And the difficulties with crossing the river there. Sorry I didn't make that clear. The Forest Service seems to still refer to this camping area as the "Franconia Falls Shelter" camping area in their pamphlet though.

With 50 degree forecasts over the next week, the tent site there doesn't at all seem like a viable site, especially since the peaks we want to climb are all on the west side of the river! :eek: Judging from the regulations in the pamphlet I posted, as long as we are upstream of Franconia Falls at least a quarter mile or so, we're fine as long as we are 200 feet from water/trail. That may be what we do- looks like it stays flat for some distance.

Starting to worry about Owl's Head though, if the temps are going to be warm and the water is going to be high- sounds like there are some sketchy crossings on the way there.

Plenty of options to camp along Lincoln Woods trail once you get out of the RUA. They even have a marked section of trail before the bridge over Franconia brook to show you how far away you have to be. I expect there is minimal enforcement in the winter of the rules but given the terrain there are plenty of camping spots. I dont see a good reason why you would want to camp on the opposite side of the river given the terrain on the west side. The only hassle is finding a spot Friday night in the dark. One potential is hike up Lincoln Woods trail to the Osseo trail then go up Osseo for the required distance and take a right and walk into the woods until you find a good spot. The lower section of osseo has fairly mature open woods. If you go up to Franconia falls, you might as well cross the bridge and head up Franconia Brook trail, Once you get up the initial climb, the woods flatten out.

Plenty of options to camp along Lincoln Woods trail once you get out of the RUA. They even have a marked section of trail before the bridge over Franconia brook to show you how far away you have to be. I expect there is minimal enforcement in the winter of the rules but given the terrain there are plenty of camping spots. I dont see a good reason why you would want to camp on the opposite side of the river given the terrain on the west side. The only hassle is finding a spot Friday night in the dark. One potential is hike up Lincoln Woods trail to the Osseo trail then go up Osseo for the required distance and take a right and walk into the woods until you find a good spot. The lower section of osseo has fairly mature open woods. If you go up to Franconia falls, you might as well cross the bridge and head up Franconia Brook trail, Once you get up the initial climb, the woods flatten out.

I think this is a great idea. As mentioned above, you probably don't want to be on the East side of the river around melt season. It could be pretty sketchy crossing. The woods between Osseo and Black Pond are pretty open hardwoods and should make for good camping. The area around "Ice Pond" (at least that's what it's called on the map!) and Black Pond west and northwest of the Falls is pretty marshy.

As for Owl's Head, it depends on your route. There are (2?) more crossings, the last one being the worst imo, on the way to the slide. If you take the Black Pond Bushwhack to the Brutus Bushwhack you'll only have to cross once I believe. If you're still worried about crossings when you get there, I still think Osseo to Flume/Franconia is another great option for you. It's well-protected from the wind on the east side of the ridge and there are very few, if any, crossings that I can remember. Plus, if you're camping within a mile of the TH, why not? :D

Side note, did anyone notice Acme Mapper changing their maps around these past few weeks? The current one shows Osseo starting in downtown Lincoln, and no spur to West Bond.

What's the likelihood of needing crampons on the Bonds? The group of people interested in the trip has grown, and not everyone has access to them...

Crampons are probably overkill but microspikes should be brought along. Of course given next weeks forecast shorts and T shirts may be an option:)