Wenonah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Well, anyone out there canoing?
I'm considering a Wenonah Argosy or a Wenonah Rendezvous. The Jersey Paddler seems to have good prices on boats. Any one out there canoe? Anyone hear any good/bad things about the Jersey Paddler? How about either one of these boats?
Thanks.

The Jersey Paddler is "da bomb" :p

I bought my Impex Mystic from them via the Paddlesport show a few years ago and I've been to their store once. They are probably the largest kayak store in NJ and they are pretty cool, there is Forge Pond in the back where you can test demo canoe/kayaks. I don't know how good they are in the canoe dept. but for sure, they seem to have more kayaks than canoes as kayaks are hot nowadays. There are a couple more kayak/canoe shops down in south jersey and Campmor has a smaller shop for canoes/kayaks (local only). There is also some rec kayaks at some other shops in the northern NJ area but JP would be the largest one in the NJ area...

If you're seriously looking at a canoe (and you're not looking at a closeout now) I would hold off til next March at least and check out JP's Paddlefest show in Somerset, NJ.

Jay

IndianChris said:
Well, anyone out there canoing?
I'm considering a Wenonah Argosy or a Wenonah Rendezvous. The Jersey Paddler seems to have good prices on boats. Any one out there canoe? Anyone hear any good/bad things about the Jersey Paddler? How about either one of these boats?
Thanks.

I really like my Wenonah. After looking at the Argosy and Rendezvous, I bought the Heron. The Heron is just a tad bigger than the Argosy but it's able to safely carry two people and a reasonable amount of gear. Unless you go solo exclusively, you should take a look at it.

I've never heard anything bad about Wenonahs in general.

bob

yeah, Jay, I'm gonna check out the Jersey Paddler real soon.
What would be the advantage to waiting 'till Paddlefest? I've been to it a few years back but are there better deals there than at the retail store?

Thanks Bob. I actually have a tandem already, a Mohawk Intrepid 16. Looking for a solo boat that I could use to paddle for a multi night trip and also play in some class I or II rapids if the occasion arises. The Rendezvous is a bit bigger but I'm looking for a boat that is also real easy to portage (Argosy - 45lbs in Royalex). I'm really leaning towards the Argosy but would love to test paddle a Rendezvous first.

Well, you get a good discount (10%) on boats at the show and a good discount on accessories and it's like the largest paddling show east of the Mississippi. It's a lot bigger than the one up in the ADKs as run by MountainMan Outdoors as far as accessories and boats go. And you get to talk to factory reps from the mfgr there rather than a salesperson. Not to say the JP staff is bad or anything, but it's hard to beat the manufacturer. Lots of books, accessories, shows, talks and stuff. They used to even have a little wave pool for whitewater demos in play boats but this year they didn't have it.

It's worth the wait, unless you plan on taking it out over the winter or can find a clearance, as I mentioned above.

Jay

Sounds good but ya' know...I found out they give 10% off boats at their store all year round (unless the 10% you're talking about is on top of that)

10% off on boats, which is whatever they have in stock there, for sure they probably have more selection at the show versus now (the off season) since the mfgrs come in big trucks, but they also have in store specials and like I said, the mfgrs are there. You'll also see Peter Hornbeck who was there and he gives shows and presentations. You'll also see Rob Center give a talk and slide show of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail...and you'll see Derek Hutchinson talk on Kayaking some remote place.. It is a fun event to shop and listen to some of the big shots of the paddling world.

Jay

Honestly, I don't think I can wait 'till March to buy a new boat but I'll definately hit the show.
I had some e-mail correspondance with a guy from Wenonah and he said that Wenonmah will be showing off what ever it is that the JP has in stock in there store. Lazy bums. :D

Well, you do know it's now winter, and if this is your first canoe, that it's cold outside! :D You have a drysuit and the right gear? Going way down south?

Jay

Chris,you might also want to check out the UNH Paddlesport Show in Durham NH in the spring. Lot's of killer deals at the show,particularly if you bargain for a boat on Sunday afternoon towards the end of the show. If you go,look for Mrs KD and I at the Maine Island Trail Assoc. booth.
To find the dates for the show,check Kittery Trading Post-events,on line.