Western Maine Mtns - Memorial Day Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow dog

Reaction score
I'll be in Rangeley for at least a couple days over the weekend if anyone is interested in hooking up. I'd like to do some of the Bigelow peaks or others off the AT in the area and maybe something else on the NEHH list. I usually hike at a medium pace and bring along the yellow dog.

Thanks for the offer. We've been there before and don't plan on going back anytime soon. If I remember correctly stay just to the right of the col between the peaks along the stream was pretty clear. Going straight up the peak with the canister was thick with plenty of blowdowns. Maybe you have good info on the trip already.

Sugarloafer said:
I've thinking about hiking with my 1 year old yellow lab. I'm curious how your dog does in the Bigelows....can he/she handle the Firewarden's Trail etc. ?

He hasn't had much of a problem with anything we've encountered so far. Sounds like I should check into the Firewarden's trail a little closer since we haven't been there yet. If I did run into something I thought he couldn't handle then we would just turn around.

Be careful with a 1 year old dog though. That's still pretty young to do anything strenous. Limit the distance, make sure they have plenty of water and be willing to turn around at anytime. Most dogs don't know how to pace themselves very well and will keep going until they drop or injure themselves so you have to be the one to make the judgement about how much they can do.

We were planning a 3 day backpacking trip in ME this weekend on the AT from Rt 27 over to Mt. Abraham and down the Fire Warden Trail. Weather has us wondering if we should postpone. Any idea how the trails and the water crossings might be after all this weather?

AT near Sugarloaf

I was there 5 days ago (eternity, I know) to climb Redington etc., and the only major stream crossing (S Branch of Carrabassett, right near Caribou Valley Rd) was no problem, with a plank positioned across the deep part. Having said that, if the plank was washed away by rains since then, you could be in for an "interesting" time. The other crossings (Orbeton and Perham Streams) are less formidable, and unless the rain continues into this weekend they should be uncomfortable at worst. (i.e. a kneedeep ford, maybe). Expect some snow above 3500', but probably nothing you need serious crampons/snowshoes for. Expect a few postholes, lots and lots of mud, and probably few blackflies yet (there were none as of 3 days ago).