Westkill Mountain - 4/6/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfxsean

Reaction score
This is my first post here on the VFT forums! Hi all.

We started out from the end of Spruceton road at about 10:30am. When we began it was overcast and about 35 degrees out. We honestly didnt think we would be able to see anything from the views at the top with all the cloud cover. We made our way up the Blue trail to the Bridge that crosses the waterfall there and meets the Devil’s Path red trail. As soon as we made it to the Red trail, we saw that we were about to experience uneven, slippery and icy spots. It was pretty slick and right there by the waterfall you can easily slide right off the trail if you aren’t careful.

We decided to press on even though we were once again bare booted. Alot of icy and slick spots from 2200 feet elevation where we started to about 2500 feet elevation. Past this altitude there was a change to mushy wet snow with intermittent patches of ice. This snow was very slick and you practically slid backwards on every step going up the steep uphill climb. We found out quickly that if you did not stay right on the very narrow single track trail, you were postholing to your knees. It was a tricky ascent and very physically demanding. Not only that but it was so long ago that I was here that It was not fresh in my memory so I did not have a great sense of progress. The last time I was here was 17 years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts!

I should mention that by this point we were all sweating alot. Alison was wearing full winter gear and had to take off some layers, as did both Joe and I. The temperature was definitely in the mid 40’s and the Sun appeared to be out. To us it seemed like a warm summer day. I had a T-shirt and a vest on before we had reached the Cave.

After passing the "Cave" at about 3480 feet we soon came to the 3500 trail marker and we all figured we would be hitting the peak in a few minutes. Yea not so much. We hit what seemed to be a series of False peaks and went up and down for awhile. Soon we came to a clearing and off in the distance appeared to be a Mountain we were heading to that seemed alot higher then we were presently and a long ways off! All of us were saying“That can’t be it..can it?” Well we pressed on and even descended a bit to check it out. After a good walk further, and a few more ups and downs and postholing in the very warm wet snow we saw what seemed to be a final ascent and a clearing at the top. We heard people laughing and thats always a good sign that you are about to reach a destination.

Sure enough we had hit the view area right below the Summit. The clouds had made way for blue skys now too and the views from Buck Ridge lookout were amazing. I dont think I can remember seeing a view that spectacular in a long time. Views of Southwest Hunter, Colonel’s Chair, Hunter Mountain, The East Jewett Range, Peekamoose, Slide and many lesser mountains are all visible from here. As well as a good view down Ox Hollow into the Lanesville area of Hunter. A short way through the woods views of Rusk and the Westkill Valley are visible. From here you have to travel another .10 mile up a small ascent to the actual Summit. There is a sign and Cairn notifying you that you have reached it. There is also a path that leads to the very beginning of the Devil’s Path, 3.5 miles away (the first parking area on Spruceton road).

We had lunch at the top and met a 3500 Club Member and his hiking partner who graciously took some pictures of us at Buck Ridge lookout. There was another couple who we had some good conversation with as well. Shortly before leaving a group of 3 people came up and began talking to us and cooking their lunch. They mentioned they were also Aspirants to the 3500 club which led us to some good discussion for a few minutes. One thing in particular worth mentioning was the one girl who was with the two guys said “Man, I cant wait to change into my other shoes’. I looked down at her feet and she was wearing Nike Running shoes! I was like “whoa! You wore those??” with a noticeable shock in my voice. She responded with “Yea, I didnt think I was going to be doing this today so this is what I have”. Her boyfriend said she could be a Nike commercial to which I agreed. To think she came up what was a very steep, technical and tiring climb wearing these running shoes postholing everywhere and not a bit of waterproof comfort. I was pretty amazed.

After lunch at Buck Ridge Lookout we made our way down the very slippery Slope from Summit. We tried really hard to not slide down, by digging our heels into the steep areas, but ya know…sometimes it just was not possible. A little unintended slip and you were sliding down 10-15 feet just trying to stay in control. The snow was so wet and slippery and again postholing anytime you got off the narrow trail. This did make for a very tiring but fast descent. By the time we got to the bottom at 4:15pm my legs were just burning like I have not felt in some time.

In conclusion, snowshoes would have been helpful. Stabilicers not helpful really at all. This was a very tiring hike, but the views at the top made it very worthwhile in my opinion. All in all a very memorable day on Westkill Mountain.

Full Report with pics on my blog.

Last edited:
gfxsean said:
This is my first post here on the VFT forums! Hi all.
Very nice TR! Welcome to the board!

How far along are you in your C35? Are you planning to go to the Club Dinner this weekend?

Hi Tom, Thank you! I'm not able to make the Dinner this year. Next year I hope to as a new member though!

I am pretty new to the official recording of my hikes for entry into the 3500. Although I have lived in the area and been hiking the Catskills for years.

We're still under 10 on our tally sheet. My hiking partner and fiancee is also doing the peaks for entry and most of these will be first time hikes for her. I plan to just do all the ones I have done again with her.

Thanks for the welcome.