What I like about zooms

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Apropos of discussion in another thread, I thought I'd illustrate the advantages of not being stuck with a fixed lens. Here are a couple of pairs of shots that illustrate how the same view can be framed completely differently at different lens lengths.
Yeah, I could do the same thing (better) by carrying a bunch of lenses, but I'm lazy and cheap.

Monroe from LOTC

did you spot both hikers?

ridge of Jewell Trail

Did you spot the hikers this time?

With apologies to The Romantics:

What I like about zooms
I go in tight
Feel like i'm the only one
Gonna make the framing right

What I like about zooms
I really know at a glance
When I look up, down, all around,
never miss a shooting chance

Keep on twisting in my hand
Give me compositions, on demand
'Cause it's true
That's what I like about zooms

nartreb said:
With apologies to The Romantics:

What I like about zooms
I go in tight
Feel like i'm the only one
Gonna make the framing right

What I like about zooms
I really know at a glance
When I look up, down, all around,
never miss a shooting chance

Keep on twisting in my hand
Give me compositions, on demand
'Cause it's true
That's what I like about zooms

Well done.

Kevin

As always, there is a time and a place for everything. One day you want a zoom, the next you want a fast fixed prime. You can not do all things with either one.

- darren

When I have room
I’ll haul a zoom

But many times
I prefer my primes

The industrial strength zooms I use are big, heavy and optically excellent. Great for day-to-day photojournalism assignments; not necessarily so good for hiking.

My 35mm and 85mm prime lenses on a 35mm film camera body are faster, physically smaller, lighter in weight and optically excellent. They are more comfortable to carry on hikes than my zooms. (On my digital SLR, 24mm and 55mm lenses provide about the same coverage as the 35mm and 85mm lenses do on film.)

What I think (hope) we really are discussing here, though, is the usefulness of being able to change focal lengths so we can frame the shot more precisely the way we want it. Whether we go with zooms or fixed focal length “prime” lenses to achieve that really is a matter of personal preference, and, maybe, budget.

The reason I mentioned the 35mm and 85mm focal lengths (for 35mm film format) above is that in 40 years of working as a photojournalist I’ve found them to be by far the most used lenses in my kit for day-to-day, non-sports assignments. I estimate that at least two thirds of those day-to-day shots are handled with those lenses (or their digital equivalents, maybe covered by zooms). The combination works equally well on hikes.

Neither focal length is extreme.

The 35mm is a true wide angle lens but produces images that have a very natural look about them. It is a great lens for quick “grab” shots, as well as the more contemplative and carefully composed photos many of us like to make.

The 85mm is a superb portrait lens that also is great for scenic work. I find that the 85mm, particularly, puts an image on film that closely duplicates the “edited” frame my brain perceives. That frame is somewhat less expansive than my eye sees physically. Also, there is slight “compression” in the scene so that distant features seem more in proportion to those that lie closer.

One of these days perhaps someone will make a truly compact, lightweight, fast, very high quality, affordable zoom lens in the right FL range that will replace my beloved 35mm and 85mm (or 24mm and 55mm – for digital) primes for hiking.

G.

Grumpy said:
One of these days perhaps someone will make a truly compact, lightweight, fast, very high quality, affordable zoom lens in the right FL range that will replace my beloved 35mm and 85mm (or 24mm and 55mm – for digital) primes for hiking.
Canon has a lens, which while it doesn't satisfy all of your desiderata, at least gets the FL range (28-135mm equiv) in a decent quality lens: EF-S 17-85mm, f4-5.6 IS USM http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511

Only fiits EOS20D and Digital rebel series.

I figure this one lens will cover ~95% of my needs excluding long distance animal pics.

Doug

I have this lens. It takes wonderful shots though with slight vignetting at full width.

I definitely would recommend it as an all-around or walking lens. The stabilization makes up a bit for the slower speed, though of course only for non-moving targets...

I have a 24 prime that I go to for landscapes, but really perfer the convenience of my zoom lenses. Primes are faster and sharper, but image quality is 'good enough' anywhere these days, and I don't shoot where I need a fast lens often ...

Besides...zooms are fun, can't do THIS with a prime:

post20751174868521-vi.jpg

Last edited:
kmorgan said:
Nice pic, reminds me of the view just as I trip over my snowshoes and begin a forward shoulder roll! :D

Kevin

I suppose there is a way to shoot this with a prime then ;)

MichaelJ said:
I have this lens. It takes wonderful shots though with slight vignetting at full width.

I definitely would recommend it as an all-around or walking lens. The stabilization makes up a bit for the slower speed, though of course only for non-moving targets...

Please explain what you mean by "vignetting". Thanks.

David Metsky said:
No, but I can do it with PhotoShop. :)
There are also radial zoom filters, I seem to remember good old Spiratone making several. Cokin's is illustrated here. Although I don't think it looks as effective as the real zoom lens or the photoshop methods. The zoom effect is probably one where photoshop will be most efficient and effective method.

You guys have already well covered what I like about zooms. You cannot beat their flexibility for fast cropping in the field.

dvbl said:
Please explain what you mean by "vignetting". Thanks.
Vignette - the term originally meant a decorative border to a picture. Rounded corners or frames were examples of such borders.

Applied to photography the term references the inability of some lenses to deliver a full rectangular or square image in some situations. It is a problem with some zoom lenses zoomed to their widest focal length, especially when you stop the lens down to a small aperture. With small apertures you have more depth of focus, and the physical edges of the lens (or attached filter) will become visible in a photo. These appear as darker rounded corners in a photo.

What they all said. The lens has a very slight darkness at the edges at maximum zoom, but it's only really noticeable in landscape shots like that one I linked to. I think that with any image that's really "busy" in terms of the shot, you won't really notice it.

I believe I also had the polarizer on for that shot as well. It's a Hoya "super quality" extra-thin filter.