What's old is new again.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahawus

Reaction score
I was watching an old movie last night from 1961 and I saw what looked like an MSR Twin Peaks tent being used in one of the scenes. It was bright orange and nylon with conical end sections and had an aluminum pole on the inside holding up each cone. It didn't look like it had a floor but I couldn't be sure in the brief scene. How odd that what seems new and exciting to us is a solution that fell out of favor with the previous generation.

The Movie was "Come September" with Rock Hudson, Gina Lollabridgida, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee.

Never had the orange backpack but I STILL have the orange tent. 29.99 at Stewarts discount department store circa 1970 and it is still servicable. It has outlived three other tents that went for as much as 12 times the price. Of course, I wouldn't want to use it if the forecast called for heavy rain.

Rick said:
Didn't everyone over the age of 45 have A BRIGHT orange backpack & tent atone time?

I had an orange tent, but never an orange backpack. My canvas backpack lasted me until 1988. It was tied together, sewed, etc when I replaced it. I got both the tent and the backpack (and my Svea) at Morsans. A place which later became Campmor.

1. Bright orange nylon tent, the MT. Marcy a single wall side vented tents for two people weighing 5lbs. (sounds like some of the new lightweight models)
2. Bright orange backpack, the Canyon a camptrails knock off.

I remember Morsans, I got a fair amount of gear there. Boy this sure dates me. I also remember when Abercrobie and Fitch was a place to go to check out some cool outdoors gear. Although much of it was the of the, "Bwana shall we set up camp here?" type.

LOL
Good one Rick!!!!
YUP...I had an "international orange" external frame backpack....circa late 60's early 70's As I recall the brand name was "Camp Trails"!!!!
I also owned a two man North Face "expedition tent" who's main color was international orange.