What's the scoop on Raineer Mountaineering Inc.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RMI is putting on a little dog and pony show at Tent & Trails in NYC next week. I'll try to scan the flyer and post a link to it over the weekend.

My brother and I took RMI's Camp Muir Seminar last June. We had a great time. We both summitted without any problems. Neither is us is a runner. My brother worked on a stairstepper during the week. I play ice hockey a couple of times a week and on the other days I either climbed Mount Wachusett or did a few laps on a long hill in my neighborhood. I did my workouts with a 30 lb backpack on. About every other weekend from January until the week before we left we tried to get up to hike in the Presidentials. A few times we were limited in time, so we just hiked up Monadnock.

One thing that I did that I think helped me with acclimatizing is that I quit drinking anything with caffine about two weeks before we left. I had a caffine withdrawl headache for a few days and then it went away. I had no headache problems at all on Rainier. One other thing we did was to hike to 8000 feet on the Muir Snow field the day prior to starting the guided climb. Since the highest we had ever hike before was 6288 feet we thought a short acclimation hike would be a good idea. I'm not sure if it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

Rainier is a great mountain. Have a wonderful time!