Where is the trail head to hike Dix-Hough-Carson-Macomb-Grace?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Five days of winter adventure in the DAX beginning Dec. 30th is drawing closer. Thanks to Pippen and others all my queries have been answered except one:
Where is the trail head for doing the Dix-Hough-Carson-Macomb-Grace loop?

I will post the five days on the Trips and Events forum. Thanks, Jeff.

Depends on approach

South - Elk Lake (Plowed to within 2 miles of the Trailhead)
East - West Mill Brook off 9N. (Or the rest area on 87 for nare-do-wells)
North (Bouquet Valley) - Stone Bridge on 73 about a mile east of Round Pond Trailhead
North (Via Dix) - Round Pond Trailhead on 73.

Since you speak of 'loop' I'm guessing that you want to start at Elk lake, climb Maccomb, the others, finish on Dix, and return from Dix. That's a loop, except for the first/last 4-5 miles.

Get off the Northway (87) at exit 29, and head west for 5 miles or so. On the right will be a road heading north. There will be a sign (either the big sign, or the name of the road) with the words "Elk Lake" in it. You'll drive as far as the caretakers house... well, a few hundred yards before, and you'll have the 2 or so mile walk down the road to get to the summer trailhead.

Looks like Round Pond off of 73. This hike will be my 5th day if there is anything left of me. The "loop" will go Round Pond TH-Dix-Hough-Carson(s. Dix)-Macomb-Carson-Grace( I think at this point I have to retrace my steps over Carson-Hough-Dix, but I don't have a map with me at this moment to check). I will stay at Trails End Inn the night before in Keene Valley. I'll post the five days so you can get a better idea of my plan.

beaner said:
Looks like Round Pond off of 73. This hike will be my 5th day if there is anything left of me. The "loop" will go Round Pond TH-Dix-Hough-Carson(s. Dix)-Macomb-Carson-Grace( I think at this point I have to retrace my steps over Carson-Hough-Dix,...
That's not much of a loop, infact it's not a loop at all.... unless....

The parking is on Rt 73, about a quarter mile south of Chapel Pond and/or the trailhead for the Ridge Trail up Giant. It is on the west side of the road. The trailhead is about 100 yards south of the parking, on the same side of the street.

The Unless part of the loop. If you do Dix, Hough, Carson, Macomb. Carson, Grace, you can drop down, and head east through reasonably open forests. You'll end up on Rte 73, several miles south of the Dix-Round Pond parking. As long as you head down in the right general direction, any drainage you follow will take you to Rt 73. Most efficient, it to follow the South Fork, then cross over to the North fork when it turns.

This way, you'll do a loop.

5-Day Smorgasbord in the DAX 12/30 thru 1/3

Dec. 30th: from Ausable Club: Sawteeth-Gothics-Armstrong-UWJ-LWJ

Dec. 31st: from ADK parking: Phelps-Tabletop-Marcy-Gray-Skylight

Jan 1st: from where ever I end up from day before: Iroquois-Algonquin-Wright. Day hikers could start out from ADK parking: Wright-Algonquin-Iroquois. An additional hike may be Nye-Street if time, energy allow.

Jan 2nd: from Ausable Club: Dial-Nippletop-Colvin-Blake.

Jan 3rd: from Round Pond: Dix-Hough-Carson-Macomb-Carson-Grace.

I will post total distance and elevation change for each hike.

I think the best way to do the 5 Dixes in one winter day is to go up Dix first from Round Pond (You can accuse me of plagiarism Pete!) I would rather go up Dix from the slide (on the trail of course) in daylight than go down tired in the falling darkness especially if there isn't much snow by then. I also wonder what sort of havoc was wreaked on the trail by the October blowdown. It isn't bad at all going up the herd trail from the South Fork. IMO after doing Dix-Hough-Carson-Macomb-Carson-and Grace you would have an easier time of it descending from the Grace-Carson col to the upper reaches of the South Fork of the Boquet. From the col to the road it's about 5½ miles and then a couple more on the road back to your car. After Grace go all the way back to the lowpoint in the col before heading down in order to get some nice open bushwhacking that is not very steep.

If you are doing this on day 5 of a 5 day solo winter peakbagging spree then you must be an awesome hiking force with unusually high physical fitness. :eek: :D

Neil said:
If you are doing this on day 5 of a 5 day solo winter peakbagging spree then you must be an awesome hiking force with unusually high physical fitness. :eek: :D

eddie said:
Beaner, rather ambitious. Best of luck.

Agreed.............. You might want to consider some back-up plans for some of those days, in case things don't go as smoothly as you'd like. I don't doubt your abilities at all, and certainly wish you the best (and eagerly await trip reports), but I would offer this observation of caution with genuine goodwill and hope its taken as such.

If you are uncertain as to WHERE the trailhead for the most logical solo winter Dix traverse loop is, I take it you are probably unfamiliar with the Adirondacks in general. AS such, I would just say, don't underestimate the difficulty of the hikes you have planned. Unless you are superhuman, you'll likely bail on some of it (just reality), so back-up hike plan will still alow you to mazimize peaks in your limited window. The Dixes in a day solo is difficult enough even in summer or with cupcake conditions. Your margin for error is pretty slim and there's few bail options available either. It will be tough, particularly after the killer 4 days preceding you have planned. Not that you can't or won't, but just understand this range presents unique challenges (even to the Daks) and it no place to get stuck in winter.

Oh yeah, Pin Pin, who is no doubt a legend and incredibly gifted hiker, might not be the best person for us mere mortals to get HIKE ADVICE from. :D Before you know it, he'll have you headed into to nail all 11 Sawtooth peaks in a single winter day :eek:

Let us know how it goes for ya.

Thanks for the words of caution, everyone. Pete, I will probably consider your South Fork loop, provided the snow is not drowning depth. Otherwise I'll retrace my steps by the light of the moon, stars, and my lithium AAA's. Elk Lake entry is also an intriguing option.

Alistair, sure. I would welcome the trail breaking help.

My plans are fluid. I won't wade through shoulder deep snow for long, cut my losses and hightail it to a cozy inn if necessary, or bag a hike as soon as I see no sign of entry from the trail head, then go looking for a path where others have already paved the way from some other trail head that may accomplish the same agenda. I'll check for trail conditions and reports on VFTT before Dec. 30th.

With packed or discernable trail I'll hike into the wee hours to finish a scheduled day.

I'm conservatively guessing I'll come away with anywhere from 5-15 4k's and a serious case of rigor mortis. I'll be lucky if 2 of 5 hikes go as planned.

Dix range in the winter...

Hi Beaner, ;)

Maybe the Junior report of the Dix range help You.

Have a great hike. ;)

P.S. When We returned from Carson to Macomb We stay in the usual path....

Pinpin Junior. :)

For the mortals

The 2 times I've successfully completed the Dix loop in winter, we climbed Macomb via the slide, dropped packs and gear at the col between Carson and Hough, continued on to Grace and returned to the col to spend the night. On the way out the following day, we did Hough and Dix and returned Via the Hunters Pass trail.
On the second trip we did Hough at night with a full moon and returned to the tents. Awesome!
This is one of my favorite trips, I just love the Dix range.
I've failed to complete the range in winter via some other routes.

It may be better now, but whatever you decide, I wouldn't descend Lillian brook back to the Elk lake trail. Made this mistake once a few months after Floyd.
:eek:

Last edited: