Where To Rent Bear Canisters In The Daks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddur

Reaction score
No not "beer" canisters...bear canisters. :D

I will be travelling up either 28 through Old Forge or up 87 from Saratoga Springs and be driving through Keene and Lake Placid to get to the ADK Loj. Can someone suggest places they know of along these routes that rent bear canisters?

Thanks
Tom

Buddur said:
No not "beer" canisters...bear canisters. :D

I will be travelling up either 28 through Old Forge or up 87 from Saratoga Springs and be driving through Keene and Lake Placid to get to the ADK Loj. Can someone suggest places they know of along these routes that rent bear canisters?

Thanks
Tom
If you are coming from the west via Route 28:
In Old Forge and Inlet along Route 28 you could try
Mountain Man Outdoors

In Saranac Lake:
St. Regis Canoe Outfitters

I'm not 100% certain of their availability but these places would be your best bets until you get to EMS and other places in LP, and of course the Loj itself. As always, be sure to call ahead.

Last edited:
There is an EMS off exit 15 in Saratoga. There is also the Mountaineer in Keene on 73.

The Mountaineer, right on route 73 in Keene Valley, and EMS on Main Street in Lake Placid both rent cannisters. I believe ADK Loj may also have some, but wouldn't swear to it.

Maybe I Should Just Purchase One

Thanks guys!

While driving to work this morning it occurred to me that I'll be heading back to the Daks a number of times to complete the 46ers (20 more peaks after this next trip) which makes me wonder if purchasing a bear canister would save me money in the long run compared to renting during the next many trips, and I'd have a canister for other trips.

When I get home I'll do a search for bear canisters to see if there are threads having recommendations of particular canisters, their characteristics, good/bad points, etc. and consider simply buying one. But if anyone wants to recommend a good canister for 2 persons of up to 3-5 day trips, I'd appreciate it.

Tom

By the time your done, you might as well buy one. There's Bear Vault which is the most popular choice. But there's also one called the Bear Keg which you can get a carry stuff sack for to attach it to the outside of your pack.

This Place Is The Best

Great information, thank you guys very much!!!

They are only necessary until November 30th, so if you don't buy one soon you'll have plenty of time before you need one again. They won't be required again until April 1st. Furthermore, they are also only necessary in the Eastern High Peaks. In the Western High Peaks, Dix Mountain Wilderness Complex, Giant Mountain Wilderness Complex, etc. bear resistant canisters are not required.

Outside of the Eastern High Peaks, where bears have not yet really learned to take down even correctly hung bear bags, canisters are really a trade off. They are easy to use and set out, but they are rather bulky and can cause problems in trying to organize your pack. Arranging food in the canister so that it all fits can also be a bit of a challenge. Be sure to use them correctly, ie open the canister, take out what food you need, and close it immediately. Bears have been waiting in the woods for people to open their canister and leave it unattended while cooking.

Canisters are available for rent at the Adirondack Loj. You can also get them at the Lake Colden interior outpost, but these are reserved primarily for those who were unaware of the regulations and show up with just a bear bag.

I've got one of these old standbys.

Works fine - don't know how much better the new ones are. Might depend upon the experience level of the bears in question ...

Buddur said:
Thanks guys!

While driving to work this morning it occurred to me that I'll be heading back to the Daks a number of times to complete the 46ers (20 more peaks after this next trip) which makes me wonder if purchasing a bear canister would save me money in the long run compared to renting during the next many trips, and I'd have a canister for other trips.

When I get home I'll do a search for bear canisters to see if there are threads having recommendations of particular canisters, their characteristics, good/bad points, etc. and consider simply buying one. But if anyone wants to recommend a good canister for 2 persons of up to 3-5 day trips, I'd appreciate it.

Tom

I purchased one 3 years ago from campmor. I think I paid 65 bucks plus another 15 for the carrying bag. The bag is really nice cause it has straps on it so you can attach it to your backpack.