Where's the beef; - I mean where's the moose?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCE

Reaction score
Is it just me or do there seem to be fewer moose this past year than previous?

With all the hikes and driving throughout the White Mountains, I've seem far less moose and less signs of moose than the previous year or two.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few and seen the ol' milk duds in the snow, just no where near an much.

What are the viewer's comments? More moose than usual?, same?, fewer sightings?

With this being a low snow year, they are probably higher up on the mountain ridges enjoying striped maple bark and others. This is pretty easy food for them. We've seen stripped trees on several of our hikes above 3K also lots of tracks.

You just ruined Hershey's Milk Duds for me for life. Oh well, maybe someday I'll overcome my username.
I saw some tracks a few weeks ago; but I don't have a frame of reference for how many I should be seeing.

Arm, Mountaingirl, and myself saw 3 moose last Saturday on the Great Gulf Trail (at about 1500'). Then the next day, Arm and myself saw lots of moose scat and a moose bed on the Goose Eye Trail in Maine. We even came up with a pretty good "moose scat skit", but I won't post it here :D

Last September, I came within a few feet of hitting a moose that happened to be casually walking down the middle of Rt 16 in Jackson, NH at 9pm. I was traveling at 60mph, and practically soiled myself from that "close encounter of the 800 lb mammal kind"... :eek:

There are lots of moose out there...