Which 4-season Tent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBubbles

Reaction score
I've been considering my options for a 4 season tent and have basically narrowed down the search to 3 tents. The Kelty Quartz 2, the Sierra Designs Omega, and the new lighter Marmot Swallow. If anyone has any experience with any of these tents please offer your analysis. And if you feel very strongly about a tent not aforementioned I'd be happy to hear about that too.
Thanks

I'm not one to be giving advice from all my experiences as I've not yet winter camped. But I have the MSR Fusion. It is an all season tent though I've only used it in moderate weather. Well constructed and I think it will take anything that can be thrown at it.

I have the Serra Alpha, which is the same as the omega, but for 3 people. The sierra is more versitile than other tents, and I have used it for a few backpacking outtings, and many family outings. It is nice to be able to remove the inner panels, and the extra pole sections, which saves considerable weight. I have not had the tent loaded with snow, but it has been through torential rain. It did leak a little on the base, but only because water was pooling between the tent and the ground sheet. The tent has excellent ventilation, and is superb for star gazing, as the entire top hood zips back. I have used the tent down to 20 degrees and found it to be comfortable at these temps.

What impressed me most about the sierra tent was the quality of workmanship. All of the stitches are double stitched, with quality thread. This tent was obviously designed with attention to detail.

-percious

Though it isn't a light tent or even made any more, I love my Quest Praying Mantis 4S tent. It is a little heavy (usually don't care because it is in a sled) and it practically takes a set of burglar tools to set it up until you are used to it. But, when it is set up, it is spectacular. Huge vestibule, stands up to heavy winds and heavy wet snows without any problems. If you can find one used I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you get the 4S. They also make a 3 season version of the tent with the same name. Just doesn't have the "4S" after the name. Looks the same just not quite as strongly built.

Mantis 4S

Keith

I have used my Sierra Designs Alpha CD in the winter a number of times.
It's warm and stable but follow instructions on the set-up.
It's a very roomy 1 person with gear, comfortable 2 person, but to have 3 people in there, well, you'd have to be munchkins or related. Watch the weight on other tents. This one is light for a 2/3 person 4 season.
The trade off is less room and a small, rain-fly type vestibule. I would skip the Omega unless you want a large 1 man or you camp with your wife or child.
There is a Sierra Designs called something else that is the Alpha with a large real vestibule, but adds the weight.
The 3 season option means you unzip the vents and leave the fly home.

without a doubt, check out bibler (I-tent) and integral designs (MK1-lite). these are thier smallest shelters and they have much larger options. all are bombproof and light. I have heard they perform poorly in very hot weather. i have heard of some people using the Black diamond "lighthouse" and "firstlight" on a four season basis, but i imagine they could get cold...light as a feather though.

winter solo tents

I'm looking for something light for a winter solo/small 2 person tent and am underwhelmed by my choices.
The Kelty Quartz 1 and is nearly 4 lbs. I like my Sierra Designs Alpha CD and thought about the Omega CD, but that's around 7 lbs.
Any suggestions under $300 would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I agree with Kaibar. I find the quality of Bibler's products to be the best in the entire camping industry. I personally wouldn't skimp on quality when it's entirely possible my life could depend on it.

Winter tent

I've used the North Face VE-25 for years and was never disappointed. It's a proven winter performer all over the world for many years. As of late I've also used (only because it's larger) the North Face Himalayian, one of the most outstanding winter tents I ever used. www.northface.com

ditto on VE-25

I also have the VE-25. I was leaning heavily towards the Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1, but a friend who is a serious mountaineer steered me towards the VE-25. Bascially its a nice size allowing you to squeeze in a third for weekend trips, but also camp out for a week in a snow snorm with you tent buddy and not be too claustrophobic. It has withstood the winds of Everest, and if you have any problems ever TNF will go to the ends of the earth for you if you have this tent. I would certainly consider it and the Trango, its only major rival among guiding outfits.

Chip said:
I'm looking for something light for a winter solo/small 2 person tent and am underwhelmed by my choices.
The Kelty Quartz 1 and is nearly 4 lbs. I like my Sierra Designs Alpha CD and thought about the Omega CD, but that's around 7 lbs.
Any suggestions under $300 would be appreciated.

Chip - Have you considered the Eureka Alpenlite?
You can check the factory outlet for some Factory Class A's (Small imperfections like crooked stitching or flawed shades of colors) that are deeply discounted. Eureka Outlet
The tent is boimbproof and light (6 lbs) with 2 doors and 2 vestibules and the perfect size for solo, but enough room for 2 when needed.

I think it is impossible to really comment on the utility of one tent or another unless you understand the intended use.

IME, there is no need for a dedicated 4 season tent in New England unless you are camping above treeline and those opportunities are so rare and in such harsh conditions...

Well, anyway, I use a floorless Megamid for all my ski camping now. Much lighter. Sheds snow well enough. And you can spill a pot of pasta without floating your buddies sleeping bag. NOTE: I'm not suggesting this as a tent. What is best for the original poster is the tent that meets his needs the best.

Mr. Bubbles, maybe you could explain more about where you are going to camp and under what conditions.

Winter tent considerations

I would also consider seriously TNF Mountain 25 or the Mountain 36. Both great winter tents but smaller than the VE-25; cost less also but equivalent in strength.

I believe Mr Bubbles has left the building. I resurrected this thread while searching "winter tent". I don't do "expedition" level winter camping by myself so I can share the weight of my Sierra Designs Alpha for that. When it's time to replace this tent I would look at Bibler, North Face, etc., as has been recommended. I really like the North Face VE-25. What I was looking for is a light winter solo or small 2 person tent around 4 lbs for local snowshoe overnights down here. I am considering using my Kelty Teton, definately a 3 season tent, and dealing with the wind and snow, as I'd avoid forecasted storms. The Kelty Quartz 1 is closer to what I'd like in the winter, but I didn't know if I was overlooking any obvious choices. thanks.

The Bibler Eldorado is a wonderfully crafted 4lb+ tent that rolls into a tiny stuff sack. Single wall, with interior poles. My record for setting it up is 45 seconds. Tough to beat in crappy weather.

Chip,

Where specifically do plan on doing winter camping? In the northeast? Out west? Above treeline? Below treeline?

I find the Megamid to be perfect for below treeline camping in New England. Light enough for solo use. Big enough for 2. Under 4 lbs.

What sort of performance are you looking to gain with a 4 season tent?