Which of these remaining seven 4000 footers is the easiest ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pammy

Reaction score
Hey all. I have the following 4000 footers left to hike, and we are doing one tomorrow. One of my friend's recently had shoulder surgery so which of these would be the easiest for her without having to do any hand over hand climbing over boulders? Length isn't an issue. If it's relatively flat hike in, and then a steep hike for the last mile or so of the hike, she could wait where the steep section starts while we run up and bag the summit since she's already done all of the 4000 footers. Thanks !! Pam

Cabot
Isolation
Moriah
Owlshead
Zealand
North Twin
Garfield

I'd second Cabot.

Garfield is mild as well until just before the summi - there is a short, hand-over-hand bit near the top.

I'd agree with Skip given your parameters. No real use of shoulders to do Cabot. Garfield is a relatively easy 10 miles but she may need a small push up the last pitch with a bad shoulder. North Twin also is a hike that would not involve shoulders. Owls head is a flat walk (long one) and she could wait at the bottom while you go up the slide. Isolation is a more demanding long walk than Owl's head and has the last pitch that would be tough, but she could wait. Personally, if she is peak bagging, to hike into OH or Iso and not get the last part of it would be tough to take.
Have fun.

The other question I suppose is which of the seven do you want to finish on?

Cabot should be doable without using your arms, although if you go over the Bulge & near The Horn, it's got a couple of decent climbs, should be arms free but it's far from flat.

Garfield's top might have a couple of spots where one hand might be good for balance. I have to go reaqauint myself, It's been a few years since my last visit. It's also one of the best views you have left. The ledge near North Twin are good for views, Moriah & Isolation being real good too. (Zealcliff good, a fair distance from Zealand's summit)

There are a couple of ladders on the way to Zealand, an experienced hiker probably could get up them using just one arm. The top of Isolation provides the only view & it's a beauty, wouldn't want to tease your friend with your oohs and ahhs.

Owl's Head is flat until the slide, might be able to get to the base of the slide where a view could be had while waiting for you to summit. (Disclosure, I'm not an OH fan)

Moriah from Bangor Road might be possible, it's a fairly steep ramp up (some PUDs) but I don't recall serious arm work. Going up from Route 16, there is a climb right near the top.

I'd do Cabot as it's maybe the easiest & least appealing of the remaining ones left for views. (has a couple of spots though, don't they all - except South Carter....)