Whiteface & Passaconaway Loop, 10/25/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 25, 2013: Whiteface & Passaconaway

Trails: Blueberry Ledge Trail, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail

Summits: Whiteface and Passaconaway

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

This day started a little later than usual. We have completed this hike enough times to know how long it usually takes to do the full loop. We planned our day accordingly and had a very relaxed start-time for the hike. As it turned out I believe there was only one other person and a dog ahead of us leaving the trailhead.

Recognizing the possibility of difficult conditions on the ledges we decided to hike clockwise; visit Whiteface first, then Passaconaway. We set off and headed to Blueberry Ledge Trail for the climb.

Down low the trail is loaded with color both on the ground and still in the trees. There was plenty of foliage yet to drop. The trail was littered with fresh leaves but we didn’t seem to have any problems with poor footing or hidden obstacles. The section of relocated trail that avoids the muddy area is in great shape and we cruised through it and back to onto the original route after bypassing all of the mud.

After a few short climbs we were approaching the lower ledges and upper junction of Blueberry Ledge and Blueberry Ledge Cutoff when we came into the initial snow. At first it was very spotty. Soon the cover increased, it was sticky snow, and Sue decided it was time for a snowman. She dropped her pack and put together a small creation. With that distraction out of the way we continued past the trails junction and into the climb.

Above the trails junction the snow quickly became a generally consistent cover. The trail itself had developed areas of ice that made some of the rocks a little tricky. We needed to watch our foot placement as we continued higher. Eventually we cleared the junction with Tom Wiggin Trail and were approaching the upper ledges that leads to the South Summit.

The first section of ledges on this climb is always the most difficult for me. Getting past this point requires hands and feet and with my shoulder problems it’s always an interesting adventure. The past several times up these ledges have always caused a reasonable amount of discomfort but that’s about it. This time through was no different. We made our way up the first part that includes a couple pretty good handholds and then the top piece, which offers a little more stress, especially with the ice, wet snow, and poor traction. Both of us made it to the top of this initial scramble without a problem. No serious slipping and sliding is a good way to start up the ledges.

After the first section is cleared, I relax and just climb. The following areas of ledge all offer some interesting obstacles to get past and with the snow and ice it’s a lot more entertaining. Probably light traction would have been a help but we both bare-booted the climb. Eventually we found ourselves at the top of the South Summit and heading out to see the views. Even though we had generally overcast conditions the clouds were high and the air underneath was pretty clear; the views were good. After getting a few pictures from the open ledges we turned and headed out Rollins Trail to Whiteface and the on to Dicey’s Mill Trail.

From this point on we were hiking in one to two inches of fairly dry, powdery snow. Sue had thought about a larger snowman but the snow was too powdery to work with. We made our way to Whiteface summit, stopped for the usual pictures, and then started our hike around The Bowl via Rollins Trail. The short but steep descents on the way required a little extra attention. The rocks were icy and slippery. Eventually we were past the tricky stuff and just hiking to Dicey’s Mill Trail.

We hit the trail junction, made the left, and headed for Passaconaway staying with Dicey’s Mill Trail past the area of Camp Rich. The climb leading to the three large switchbacks was very easy and the footing was good. We passed through the large switchbacks and started into the final steep climbs. The footing started off good but gradually deteriorated. By the time we were in the final climb to the summit Sue made the comment she planned to pull out her MicroSPIKES for at least the early part of the descent.

On our way to the summit we made a short stop at the viewpoint for a few area pictures and then headed for the summit spur and treed summit of Passaconaway. A couple pictures at the summit cairn (yes, there is a small one now) and we were ready for our exit hike. Sue pulled out the MicroSPIKES and we took off.

The descent from the summit was slow going. Even though Sue had light traction, I was still bare-booting and being extra cautious with every step. There was never a problem for either of us. We made our way down to the switchbacks and were into fairly good conditions. The trail was covered with snow and ice but the footing was good and we had no slips or other mishaps. Eventually we dropped below the conifers, worked our way to clearer ground, and Sue retired the MicroSPIKES.

From there past the crossing of Wonalancet River and on to the trailhead was an easy cruise. All of the mud that usually exists in the area just after the crossing was generally dry. There were lots of leaves on the trail but we never found anything waiting to trip either of us (just lucky I guess). Generally in-line with the time of most previous visits (in other words our average hike time for the loop) we arrived back to the trailhead lot. After a few minutes to pack our things and change footwear we were on our way south.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Last edited: