Whiteface Slides in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing Wookie

Reaction score
Can anyone educated me on if climbers are allowed on the slides in Winter? I read somewhere that when the slides are open for sking that upward travel is not allowed.

Currently, the slides remain closed due to snowpack instability dating back to the late fall early snow and rain turning to ice.

Assuming slides conditions improve I was thinking about using them to keep my skills up prior to some glacier climbing in the Cascades later in the Spring.

Thanks,
the Wookie

You probably should call and ask Whiteface Management directly, to be on the safe side.

Once the snow pack on the slides is stable, management will want to open them for skiing, as they are a significant marketing draw. It would be problematic to be climbing up there when the slides are open for skiing. As a patroller (though not at Whiteface) I know that on ski area terrain, anyone who is doing anything other than sliding downhill is a potential problem, and will draw management attention. You might want to consider another one of the many slides in the high peaks for training.

TCD

Other Good Winter Slides?

I was thinking of going up any of Slides 1-4 in the Ski Bowl of Whiteface.

I am curious how conservative is management's decision to keep the slides close due to potential avalanche conditions.

Your right calling management is probably the best thing to do.

I would start early, potentially hitting the slides right at day break.

What other slides would ya'll recomend in Winter? Criteria: 30 degree or greater slope, ample snow. I wouldn't mind having something other than the Macomb slide to teach partners the joys of roped climbing, protection, and belaying. I use Macomb a lot now, but something a bit steeper would be nice.

Pick up Drew Haas's Slide Book; it has a lot of good suggestions. A few would be Eagle, Colden Trap Dike, Colden Lake Arnold, Whiteface Lake Placid Slide (other side from ski area). Slides on Dix on the Boquet side are cool too.

A hybrid (really less of a slide and more of an ice climb) is the Chapel Pond slab. It usually doesn't hold snow.

Have fun in the Cascades!

TCD