Who said Owl's Head isn't fun?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnof

Reaction score
It's no secret that some peakbaggers dread Owl's Head. But as one hiker quipped, as we passed a second time, it's really kind of overblown. I agreed, since it's basically flat and easy traveling for 16 miles with a steep slide climb stuck in the middle. The flat sections may try your patience more than anything. I was determined to make the most of the hike by running the majority of the trail (sans slide). I'm by no means a fast runner, but this would quicken the pace, ease boredom and allow more time for photography and splashing around in the water..

I got on trail around 7am and started down the old railroad bed that's now the Lincoln Woods Trail.

DSC03093 by cubist11, on Flickr

The last time I hiked to Owl's Head I actually mountain biked this section of trail to save time. I had seen a bike rack on a previous visit, located by this bridge. When I arrived with my bike, though, the rack was gone--so I ditched my bike in the woods and carried on. Years later I would discover that riding that old railroad bed was a no-no and wouldn't count towards the NH48K list. At the time, I considered it more of an access road than a trail. But rules are rules, of course.

DSC03094 by cubist11, on Flickr

Once across the bridge and into the wilderness area, yet more long, corridor-like stretches of trail through the woods, with the occasional log laying across the trail to break the monotony. The brook crossings were a cool diversion, though. I removed my shoes and barefooted the first two, rock hopped the rest on the way to OH. (On the return trip I just walked through the brooks. My trail runners drained quickly and my feet enjoyed the dunking.)

DSC03101 by cubist11, on Flickr

The path up the slide to the summit was marked with small cairns on the east side of the trail. The rocks were a little damp on the way up but dried out in the sun by the time I came down.

DSC03107 by cubist11, on Flickr

For those hikers unable to follow a course north through the woods from the old summit to the new one, some clever person has made it perfectly clear.

DSC03116 by cubist11, on Flickr

Not to spoil the thrill of the summit, I've deleted the photo from this trip report. I was also one photo over the 12 photo limit... When I got back to the slide, the clouds on Franconia Ridge had broken up and I was able to view some hikers on the ridge south of Mt. Lincoln. If you were up there around 11:48am you may be in a picture here. I wanted to bring a tele lens, but space in my backpack wouldn't allow it.

DSC03130 by cubist11, on Flickr

DSC03131 by cubist11, on Flickr

DSC03132 by cubist11, on Flickr

I met some nice people on the slide, including a fellow named Brian who was coming from 13 Falls with Sarah. I trust they met up with Andy on top, who was looking for them earlier. I also found a SIGG bottle on the slide, with the name Kim written on it, as well as a phone number with no area code. You can leave a PM for more info.

Back on the trail, small flora and fauna: As with all forest animals, blending into the environment is key.

DSC03137 by cubist11, on Flickr

These bright orange mushrooms were just begging for a photo op.

DSC03145 by cubist11, on Flickr

Nothing beats a swim in the river after a long hike, to reinvigorate tired muscles. Nice view of the Bonds from the E. Branch of the Pemi.

DSC03171 by cubist11, on Flickr

This looks like more handiwork of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things. I've seen other evidence of their activity in the WMNF and it's always amazing.

DSC03176 by cubist11, on Flickr

Happy trails,
Mark

Last edited:
Is it aliens or Dr Suess?

Nice report - makes the hike look worthy of a repeat.

It does look Seussical, now that you mention it!

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to getting out there again—maybe to 13 Falls to camp sometime. That sounds like a beautiful area.

Owl's Head is definitely fun, don't know why it has such a bad rep. Nice trip report and great pictures. This is the peak that I finished my 48 4k on so your pictures bring back a lot of great memories for me.

Owl's Head is definitely fun, don't know why it has such a bad rep. Nice trip report and great pictures. This is the peak that I finished my 48 4k on so your pictures bring back a lot of great memories for me.

Thanks, Gritter. The Owl's Head slide is definitely fun to pick your way up and down. I ended up drifting off to the right on the way up and into the trees…all roads lead to Rome there, though. I enjoyed the opposite (north) side better on the descent. That valley below the Franconia range, with the sound of Lincoln Brook flowing through it, is just awesome to see from the slide. I would have liked to spend more time up there but had to get back at a reasonable hour.

Great report and pics! I'm with you guys, Owl's Head is fun. We dreaded this one and wound up having a blast. Might have had something to do with the great group we were in. Glad to see that you followed the rules this time and made it official :rolleyes:

Glad to see that you followed the rules this time and made it official :rolleyes:

Oh--it's official now. It was getting harder as time went on, carrying the guilt, the shame. :rolleyes: I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders...could be my backpack, though. :D Thanks

Nice pictures and report. I like hiking to Owls Head. I will have to admit I have thought many times on the long walk back to Lincoln Woods about having a bike. :)

Owl's Head was fun! And the company was great too!

All right up until I smashed my knee on a log. Which ended up putting me out of hiking for almost the whole winter. :(

At that point, though, I was thankful the last 6 miles were flat. :D

Nice pictures and report. I like hiking to Owls Head. I will have to admit I have thought many times on the long walk back to Lincoln Woods about having a bike. :)

Yes--a bike, a Jeep, a horse...the mind tends to wander on those long flat stretches!:D thx

Last edited:
Owl's Head was fun! And the company was great too!

All right up until I smashed my knee on a log. Which ended up putting me out of hiking for almost the whole winter. :(

At that point, though, I was thankful the last 6 miles were flat. :D

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. If you had to pick a spot to sustain an injury, though, that's probably one of the better ones. :D