Who would do an overnighter in these temperatures?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the "DRY COLD" comment got me, so I'll bite. About 5 years ago I was out in Brekenridge CO in December. We were in town and I just HAD to have a beer, so I walked about 5 blocks in dress clothes to a package store to buy a 6-pack. MAN it was cold, (-20F) and when I stepped into the door of the store I just shook and said out loud "Damn! It's cold out there!". The guy behind the counter says in a very dry, low voice "Yeah, but it's a DRY cold". I looked at him and with a slight smile I replied "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He looks up, smiles a little and says "You know, I don't really know. I've only lived here about 30 years and ain't figgered it out yet."
My coldest, was also one of the best 3 day outings I've ever had. 20 below at night, zero during the day, clear blue skies all weekend, and the best sking I have ever had. The year before, on the same weekend in the same place, it was 30 degrees and raining. My first and last bout with hypothermia. Not fun, but now I know how it feels.
Great Thread. Nice comments from all.
Tom

Does it get this cold out west?

I've only been to Colorado a few times, and have not seen temps below -10. Though I'm sure if I waited long enough...

One thing I've noticed about Colorado are the mountain winds. Always seem to be blowing at least 15mph and getting much worse than that. See my 12/01/03 post under Trip Reports... Mt. Democrat - Colorado.