Wikiloc Versus EveryTrail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
What do people like about EveryTrail? EveryTrail does seem to be more popular as it has more GPS tracks posted to it, particularly in the Northeast USA.

I find navagating around in EveryTrail very frustrating. I find the search function difficult to use in both Wikiloc and EveryTrail. This leaves the "World Map" as the quickest and most specific way to find a trailhead. In Wikiloc the "World Map" can be navigated to from every page of Wikiloc, not so in EveryTrail. Once in World Map, Wikiloc can zoom in with the mouse finger wheel quickly to specific areas on the map, in EveryTrail you have to drag the area of interest to the center and then go to the left side and click the magnification "+", usually requiring 3-5 centerings, with a 1-5 second pause for "loading", before you get to the desired area and magnification. Once at the desired area in Wikiloc you will find the labels to the most popular (or most recent) trailheads listed along the left side of the map, users can indicate the description of activity (Hiking, Kayaking, etc.) to quickly narrow the search. Not so with EveryTrail: you are presented with as many as 100 red stickpins that you have to click on, to get the name of the track, and you are not informed of the type of activity.

Once you find a track of interest, in Wikiloc you can, in Full Screen mode, zoom in quickly with the mouse wheel. Still cannot do this in Everytrail. Both have equivalent track data and statistics on the track page. Both are relatively easy to download and upload tracks.

I have noticed that posting of photos to EveryTrail is faster for an equivalent file size. Other than that, what am I missing that makes EveryTrail more popular than Wikiloc?

Wikiloc gives you more options re: the downloaded track. The downloaded file name is more meaningful than Everytrail's number.

Last edited: