Wildcat Ski Area (Attempt) - 05/07/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btausend

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 7, 2014

Summary: Today I was hiking with a friend and the plan was to do the Wildcats. We left a car at the 19MBT and then drove over to the Wildcat Ski Area. We arrived and 9 am and geared up. In the parking lot we briefly talked to a couple employees and then started to hike up Wildcat. We were only hiking about 10 minutes or so when a Snowcat pulled up behind us. The driver got out and told us the mountain was closed to hikers. He said they are doing construction work and for our safety we couldn't hike the mountain. He said there were signs at the bottom of the mountain. So he politely asked us to head back down and we did.

When we got down to the bottom I looked around and there are no signs about no hiking. The only sign I saw was the sign about the trails being closed outside of regular operating hours. Before we left we went inside and asked about the closure. We were told the same thing. When we asked about why there are no signs posted we were told they can't without WMNF's permission. We ended up going down to the Glen Ellis parking lot and headed up that way.

Between peaks A and B we met a southbound hiker. He said he was headed over to Peak D and back. We told him about the ski area closed to hikers and he said he knew that. He said he went to the ski area today and he was told in the parking lot that the mountain was closed to hikers. This hiker was told the trails would probably be closed until Memorial Day.

Brian