Willey, Field & Tom from Willey House site - 2/25/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Route: Kedron Flume, Ethan Pond, Willey Range, Mt. Tom Spur, A-Z, Avalon Trails

Date: Tuesday, 2/25/14

Equipment: Snowshoes (the whole way), Poles, Ice axe

Conditions/Comments: Kedron Flume Trail was well packed out to just above the flume... which, being completely frozen over, was neither seen nor heard this day. From there to Ethan Pond Trail I broke through a hard, crusty layer covering older granular but sunk in only 4-5 inches. Ethan Pond Trail was well broken out as was, surprisingly, Willey Range Trail all the way up to Mt. Willey. Seems folks have been utilizing the lesser travelled route up Willey this winter. Ethan Pond Trail looked to be well packed out beyond the junction with Willey Range Trail.

The steep ladder sections required care, but the snow was like Styrofoam and grippy, so my MSRs did fine. However, I did bring an ice axe and did use it on this section. The uppermost ladder I bypassed around to the left as others before me had also done. (Were I to descend this trail given the current conditions, I would probably switch to crampons.)

I shared some gluten-free chocolate chip cookie crumbs with the Chris Christie of gray jays on the summit of Willey. :D

From Willey to Field there was some drifting, mostly on the Willey side. A-Z looked to be broken out going toward Zealand Falls Hut. From Field to Tom and out to Crawford Depot was a well broken out highway. Probably could’ve barebooted but opted to keep snowshoes on all the way.