Winter break: Everglades

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
I just spent eight nights camping in Everglades National Park, my first-ever visit to the main park.
The Everglades sustained major damage in 2005 from hurricanes Katrina and then a month later Wilma. It took a lot of work to re-open the marked water trails.
It's a great winter destination for paddlers! I brought my inflatable Advanced Elements and took trips into Florida Bay. Also did some canoe trails - Hells Bay and Noble Hammock. If the last two weren't marked with white poles, I never would have returned to NY. You can get hopelessly lost in five minutes in those mangroves, which are a look-alike maze.
The kayaking was good, the camping on Florida Bay was as nice as it gets. The best conditions for star-gazing I can remember, anywhere. No crowds, no bugs, hot, sunny, 80 degrees. It can be done on the extreme cheap. Recommend it.

I'm going! Last week I booked a short trip for the end of Feb. I'm hoping to do some bird watching, but hope to rent a bike for the time I'm there to stay active. I'm glad to hear the paddling is good. Do you think it is worth it to take a tour or to rent a kayak for a half day? I looked into the camping. I read there were a few places one could hike into, but most you'd need a boat for, so I opted for staying in town. I'm more of a hiker than a paddler. I'd love to read a TR or somehow hear more about your trip. There are four enterances to the park. I'm looking at the one closest to Homestead and Shark Valley. (I think that's the name of it.) Which did you go to? I'm still in the planning stage.
PM me if you feel like sharing your adventure.
:)

Sounds great ...perfect time of year.
I'm going next week ( Fla) and headed to Big Cypress National Preserve one of the days. It'll be my 1st peek at what things are like down there.

Also I've read there's a nice section of coastal islands and estuaries...called 10,000 islands.... or something along those lines ?

Early Bird, lucky you. Hope you have a great trip. Sent you a pm with some logistical details.

Hi Solo Spider, that also sounds like the perfect antidote to winter. I went to Big Cypress/Shark Valley/Everglades City two years ago when the main Everglades park was still closed. There is great paddling out of Everglades City, a very laid-back, unpretentious little fishing town. I base camped at Collier-Seminole and went out into the Gulf (10,000 Islands) and also did some inland routes (Turner River). There is an outfitter at a B&B (The Ivey House) in Everglades City who guides, rents kayaks and runs shuttles. Check out the Ivey House website if you're interested in lodging - it's not expensive at all and very historic.
Above all, if you've never been, don't miss Shark Valley! There is something crawling or flying every other foot. Alligators, big ones, come right up on the walkway and force you to walk around. Good stuff.

Sounds nice Trudy, especially the part about star-gazing when it's warm. I was in the catskills one fallish, wintery day and star gazing but it was pretty chilly, I was in my sleeping bag but poking my head outside my tent so I could count the shooting stars... It's nice to be able to do it without the bag, so long as the bugs are at bay.

Jay

Just wanted to mention we did go to Big Cypress Preserve..very nice.
A smalll group met with a young ranger fellow.
They supplied the canoe, paddles, vest , plus himself for free.
We thought that was excellent.
Plenty of gators... birds... Mangroves.... etc and somebody to expalin what's what.
Very nice indeed.

Okay, maybe the two young women paddling with the ranger may have been a slight distraction to our nephew, but he hid it well....

Just a short trip to Everglade city nearby...will plan on reurning there for future trips.

Where did you paddle? Sounds excellent.

I really enjoyed Everglades City. Talk about not touristy. Those folks just go about their business. A very unspoiled, old-Florida fishing town.

We were on the Turner River, which continues on a bit further than the section we saw. Part of the Turner River Canoe Trail.
Mangrove Tunnels
They maintain water "trails" through them, the water was high so we had to sit on the bottom of the boats and pull ourselves along till you popped out into the open.
Break time was..."aren't those gators moving closer to us?"

All together we paddled 3 times... canoe once, kayak twice ....checking out different parts of the coast line from the Tampa bay area to the Big Cypress Preserve.
Lot's of stuff we didn't see, but it's the lower areas that we liked the best.
We would like to return there for some more extensive paddling.

now that I reread the posts I see you have also been on the Turner river...very nice.

Last edited:
Trudy, are there any overnight accomodations in Everglades City?

Spider, your paddling sounds like Gulf Coast and Everglades. Any paddling on the Atlantic side? We'll be down there in April and plan to vist, and possibly paddle, Cumberland Island (GA), Merritt Island (FL) as well as the Keys and the Everglades.

Try the Ivey House for inexpensive, unique accomodations. You can go upscale there and enjoy the indoor pool, but I enjoyed the cheaper rooms and the friendly common area that went with them. Check it all out at their website.

There is also an RV campground right near the park headquarters, Glades Haven, that has a few tent sites if you want to camp.

Wow, sounds like an excellent trip. I've only seen the Gulf Side so I'll look forward to hearing about it.
We rented whenever we went paddling, (except when it was free).
We weren't to fussy, anything that floated was fine by us, though I asked for "sit in" if available.

Ok, one place had a giant water tricycle boat thingy that you could climb up on and pedal...it's true...tempted as I was... I resisted.
Now if I were a tequilla drinkin man I mighta just gone for it.....