Winter car camping campsites in NH and VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Years ago for a VFTT winter gathering Barnes Field was open.

1. Is Barnes Field always open in winter and you pay the caretaker when there? I remember pumping water there from the spigget. (sp?)
2. Are there other campsites for car camping in NH?
3. Might as well ask about VT also.

Thanks. It would be nice if there was another winter gathering somewhere in NE :)

At the last Winter Gathering at Barnes Field, the well pump froze overnight. Luckily, we had pumped 10 gallons or so the night before and left it in the warming tent, so we had hot water for hiking the next day.

I second the idea of another Winter Gathering!

In Lincoln, there's Hancock; at the other end of the Kancamagus is Blackberry Crossing Campground (east of Bear Notch Road).

In Crawford Notch, the Dry River Campground (near Arethusa Falls) closes for the winter, but I have gotten permission from the rangers to camp anyway (before the snows come and you can't get the car into the driveway); there just aren't services.

White Birches Campground in Shelburne used to have a heated bathhouse for winter use. I am not sure if they still have this option but it made for good option for winter camping.

From http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/franconia-notch-state-park.aspx

Lafayette Place Campground
Lafayette Campground is located in the middle of Franconia Notch State Park, along the Franconia Recreational Trail. The campground is open for walk-ins beginning May 17, 2013 and reservable stays from Memorial Day through Columbus Day weekend. Each campsite is wooded and has a picnic table, car parking space and an open fireplace. Brochures, weather reports and basic provisions such as wood, charcoal, ice, milk, and snacks are available at the lodge between 8 am and 9 pm. Coin-operated showers are open 24 hours. Winter camping is welcome; a vault toilet but no running water is available.

$$ You have to walk in to campsites and I believe they charge the full summer rate !!

Cannon Mountain RV Park
The seven-site RV park, located on the north shore of scenic Echo Lake in Franconia Notch State Park, is open year-round. Three-way hook-ups are provided during the regular camping season beginning on May 25th, 2013. However, there is no water or sewer, including dump station, available from mid-October through May 1. RVs must be self-contained. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring. Bathrooms are available seasonally at the beach but are locked at night. In addition, many campers enjoy the convenience of winter RV camping at the base of popular Cannon Mountain Ski Area.

$$ Do you still have that Matrix and would you call it an RV?

If I remember right, one interesting thing about Barnes is that in the summer you pay by the head, but in the winter you pay a flat rate for the site, or something like that?

Thanks everyone, doing some quick research for now, from what I just googled on..

Barnes Field, had to click on Reserve America and it said "closed until May 15, 2014"...wonder if that's true?

Will check out others later this week...I'm in no way an extreme hiker with experience but I don't mind making some calls to try and find out what options there are for a winter gathering...mid February for me works for now. Will get back, thanks.

Kancamagus Highway Closures

From the White Mountain National Forest website:
"Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption."
Questions? Click Here!

so? Does this mean no for now? Is camping recreation? Sounds like it is...this could be a problem...what do you think? Look for private campgrounds?

Barnes Field, had to click on Reserve America and it said "closed until May 15, 2014"...wonder if that's true?

Barnes in the winter is first-come-first-served, no reservations, therefore from the perspective of the reservation management agency it's "closed."

Thanks Michael. I think I will talk to my nephew (Bostonian now) and set up something with him mid February at Barnes Field. Will post is as a winter gathering and see what happens. I sure will miss that neat warming tent and the snizz burgers from years ago. I will do my best to help out from this end. So many people helped last time. I think it was Arlene or Audrey who was leading a newbi snowshoe hike up Pierce? Madtownie, Skimom, Poison Ivy and Hiker Bob took me on an adventure that seems like yesterday. I would like to give back to the VFTT site by helping set something up. I'm in no way experienced enough to lead winter hikes but I can make phone calls. I'll post it now. Hmmm, maybe I should confirm it with my wife first?