Winter - Enjoy what is left of it

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/winter-over-possibly-going-feel-093023746.html

Looks like this weekend may be the last real winter conditions in the whites due to high winds. Temp trends from various sources call for warm and early spring. While on a quick hike up Jackson Thursday, the streams were still in "winter mode" with minimal flow and good bridges but looking at the trend for the next week and the long term trends into March it looks like the melt is going to get going in earnest. Time to get the silicone spray out and spray those microspikes and snowshoes. There is still a reasonable snow pack at elevation but in Randolph along RT2 I am starting to see melt patches at the base of trees and a seasonal drainage starting to flow.

The long weather range forecast looks Apocalyptic!

I’m thinking I’ll have another few weeks at most for snowshoeing, the snow was pretty sugary today and made going uphill a little slippery at times. There’s still plenty of depth, at least 2 feet in most places if the soft spots I stepped in today were any indication. Logging roads are starting to show dirt in the middle, another couple weeks at most and the truckers will be working nights because of road postings.

I’m guessing a spring is starting to flow here.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 5
This has been an absolute dogshit winter for me. The only snow we got here in southern RI was about two weeks ago. Cold temps kept it around for a bit but it's mostly gone now. And I've got a torn meniscus in my left knee which has left me hobbling and unable to do much other than the occasional walk. I'll getting it cleaned up but not for another month.

And I haven't been to the Whites since last May! I'm scheduled for one trip St. Pat's weekend but between this post and my janky knee I'm not super optimistic about how it's going to go down. Sad Seth...

Thought you'd been kind of quiet. Get that knee taken care and you'll be good as new. Looking forward to more trip videos in the near future. I remember a bunch of cool walks in RI that might be good warmups when in recovery. It's been a long time, but I recall a walk in western RI with a series of unexplained cairns. Do you know the one I'm talking about? I'll have to look it up.

It's been a long time, but I recall a walk in western RI with a series of unexplained cairns. Do you know the one I'm talking about? I'll have to look it up.

I get little satisfaction out of hiking in this state anymore. It's like eating gruel after tasting filet mignon.

This has been an absolute dogshit winter for me. The only snow we got here in southern RI was about two weeks ago. Cold temps kept it around for a bit but it's mostly gone now. And I've got a torn meniscus in my left knee which has left me hobbling and unable to do much other than the occasional walk. I'll getting it cleaned up but not for another month.

And I haven't been to the Whites since last May! I'm scheduled for one trip St. Pat's weekend but between this post and my janky knee I'm not super optimistic about how it's going to go down. Sad Seth...
Bummer Seth. I've missed your cool posts.

But take heart. I had a frayed meniscus repair three years ago and the knee came back as good as new.. In fact, I walked out of the day surgery building. A few months of PT and all good.

Now all I'm dealing with is old age!! Rock on....

Bummer Seth. I've missed your cool posts.

But take heart. I had a frayed meniscus repair three years ago and the knee came back as good as new.. In fact, I walked out of the day surgery building. A few months of PT and all good.

Yes I posted an update video on my site and received several comments from people who have gone through the same thing. So I'm cautiously hopeful about the whole thing. Just wish it wasn't another month away.

I feel your pain. I've been bogged down in house projects for past 3 months. 11/15 was my last hike. I've pretty much wrote off the 23-24 Winter and am trying to focus on backpacking season. Daylight savings is only a few weeks away.

I get little satisfaction out of hiking in this state anymore. It's like eating gruel after tasting filet mignon.
Out my way in NE and E CT there are some decent places to get out for some "real" trails. No filet mignon but at least a decent chicken breast.... :p

Hiked up Mt Crawford yesterday. The MWO had forecast temperatures in the teens on the higher summits, and I made the mistake of thinking that Crawford would be like a higher summit. It *looked* like winter, but the Davis Path was thoroughly packed down (to nearly the point of being icy to the spur junction, a little fluffier beyond), and the temperatures were in the 30s all the way to the summit.

The thing with Winter in New England is if you are going to stay sane you have to be into multiple activities. If you have just one outdoor hobby, chances are one year or another conditions will not be optimal for that activity and then you are screwed.

My wife and I nordic skied at Jackson NH ski area over the weekend and conditions kind of sucked. It had thin cover and was icy. With warmer temps this week and March around the corner, I think nordic skiing is going to be pretty much done for the season unless we get a really nice March snow storm...

Daylight savings is only a few weeks away.
Normally I look forward to that because it’s light enough to see almost until 7 on my evening snowshoes, but I’m not sure the snow will be usable then. Even if it’s deep enough there’ll be voids underneath and those just suck falling into. There’s hoping 24-25 is an absolute terror of a winter - old school!

My wife and I nordic skied at Jackson NH ski area over the weekend and conditions kind of sucked. It had thin cover and was icy. With warmer temps this week and March around the corner, I think nordic skiing is going to be pretty much done for the season unless we get a really nice March snow storm...
We went down to North Conway from Bethlehem 2 weekends ago for in-town stuff and I was impressed (as compared to elsewhere) by the snowpack on the east side of the notch. There has been a lot of weather variability since then.
We XC skied at Bretton Woods on this past Saturday and conditions were great as it seemed the snowpack had actually gained since my last visit. We started not from the touring center where I would assume areas in the open through the golf course oppositely deteriorated over the same period.

I have been really wondering and fascinated by the situation where the forces of the sun make the snowpack no match to endure, but in other places it might actually still be gaining. I'm always holding on to winter as long as possible.

I'm actually currently searching for new skis to finish out the season, as I managed to rip the bases off the front of my skis at Beaver Brook XC Ski Area in the rain a few weekends ago; I was hitting bare bridge approaches with insufficient grace.

It's been a mild winter for sure. I have been noticing the snowpack on most of my hikes is quite shallow, this will be a quick spring. Me and my dog have had a great winter, we haven't missed a week yet and have had some great conditions. I have used my snowshoes only twice and that was over a month ago. We are trying to keep fit, going South and West this summer.
Seth- I had my meniscus done, piece of cake. Walked right out of recovery and never looked back, I pound my knee on quick decents and it's perfect. You'll be back in no time, we need more videos.