Winter is Back

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cograilway

Reaction score
After a really bad start to the winter things on Mt. Washington have changed dramatically in the last 15 -20 days. February went out like a lamb and March came roaring in like a Lion. It has been snowing off and on for last 10 days. Things now look almost like normal for this time of year. I just thought any back country skiers would like to know how much the conditions have improved.

My family bought a Nordic season pass for the area just below you at Bretton Woods, and I can confirm the arrival of excellent snow conditions. If it was 10 years earlier in my life, I may have been a regular skier off the Cog access, but am really enjoying the lower elevation trails with our kid.
I have really enjoyed skiing the old B&M connection to your railroad, and imagine the type of equipment that may have been climbing the grade through this dramatic landscape. I have just noticed an old telegraph pole along the old rail alignment that is next to the little building next to the nordic center, and then realized this may have been the boarding station for hotel guests at the Mt. Washington Hotel for a trip to the Cog Base Station.
Thanks for keeping history alive.