Winter Pants-- advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orphic Seth

Reaction score
So this winter I've decided to start doing some hiking up in the Whites-- day hikes only, and plan on hitting a couple of 4000 footers, Moosilauke, Whiteface, etc. Nothing too dramatic.

For Xmas the g/f went all out and got me a pair of Bean Mountain Guide bibs, with the understanding that she will happily return them and get me any other set of pants I think would be more suitable, she just wanted to start at the top first (very nice girl she is).

SOOoooo, while I have been eyeing the bibs, I also thought they might be too much for what I'm trying to accomplish here, not to mention quite warm when I'm moving right along, and was thinking more along the lines of the EMS Union Creek Pants or something similar, if anyone has any suggestions.

So do I need to go all out here with a bib, or will a less bulky pant also do the same job for what I'm trying to do? I don't see myself postholing up to my nipples on trails around the whites, but having done a load of b.c. skiing in the east, I am reminded on how many times I HAVE been up to my nipples in snow. I'm all sorts of crazy about being prepared without overdoing it.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Hey Seth, I am in a similar situation regarding my first season of winter hiking. The best advice I received was to wear thermals (cipalene or theramax or similar) under a pair of decent light/medium wind pants, BUT buy ones that have a full side zip so you can cool down your legs when needed.
Everyone has advice as to what works best for them, try some different types....based on the cost of those bibs, you could easily find a few different pairs to test.
Good luck, Bill

I have an assortment, with and without bibs, insulation, and other features. The bibs I've worn exclusively for lift served skiing, I've never even wished for those while hiking. The few times I've worn insulated, it's been too much, even in sub zero temps. Another very handy feature is full length leg zips, something like

Camp Tech High Peaks Pinnacle Mountaineering Pants (For Men)
Item Number: 33068
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39160796

I have something similar which is my main outer layer Dec-Feb, depending on weather.

I 2nd Dugan, full leg zips are important. I often will start a hike wearing just long underwear and at some point will put on my shell layer. With full leg zips you don't have to remove your boots to add or remove your shell layer. If you are really careful you don't have to remove your crampons either!

I use my Marmot Pre Cip rain pants and gaiters with the appropriate layers underneath for the winter. They have full length zippers. I had no problems last winter with this set up; even with temps below zero

I just got my new Marmot DriClime windpants in the mail and can't wait to try them. :D Campmor was selling them off at $59.97 - not sure if they still have them though...

For me, it was cheap $20 nylon windpants (or even adidas or nikes) over polypro, then I stepped up to Goretex and went back to cheap nylon pants, saving the goretex for summits and lounging around winter camp or extremely cold days as well as hiking in the rain.
I just got a pair of REI One pants (Softshells) for Christmas and have worn them 4 times now and they are the ticket. On extremely cold days, I can wear polypro beneath them and if need be on the windiest of summits, I can pull goretex over them. They are also on sale now at REI.com.

My preference:

I wear a pair of Pearl Izumi cycling tights as a base layer and then a heavier pair of Pearl Izumi AmFib cycling tights over them. They are totally fitted and breathable compared to Gortex or windpants which I find suffocating and noisy. In my pack I carry a pair of full zip Marmot Precip pants which I have carried for over 3yrs and have never, ever used.

My hikes include snowy bushwhacks "up to my nipples", windblasted ridges and the usual woods trails. If the temps are high enough to melt the snow, then the Gortex types are too warm and the pants I wear quickly dry from my body heat if they get snow covered. If the temps are lower the snow is dry and does not stick to my pants.

I believe that the easiest way to stay warm is to stay dry. Therefore I use my legs as ventilators and use my upper body to trap heat when it is needed (hats, dry gloves, extra fleece, soft shell, neck gator, Precip jacket or the dreaded Gortex when it goes below -5F w/ wind).

It works for me and it may work for you?! :D

I'm with IceNSnow, I typically wear full length Pearl Isumi cycling tights underneath my regular TNF conversion pants that I would wear in the summer. The PI microfleece is amazingly warm being tights and also very lightweight and by wearing regular hiking pants on top of it, it is shielded for durability. I'll typically wear just the shorts and wear gaitors unless it's real cold or if I don't have the gaiters, I'll wear the long pants on top of it. I also have two kinds of Marmot Precips, the basic pre-cip rain pant (not the full zip kind) and the one that is lined with fleece on the inside.

I'll typically wear the fleeze precip when XC Skiing because it's a bit more waterproof than the hiking pants/liner combo.

Jay

I agree that sometimes a windproof or waterproof pant is a little much, even though it says breathable, it is never even close to comfortable for me. For lack of any other way to describe it, I get really uncomfortable in the crotch region when I sweat down there to much...More air circualtion, the happier i am.
I only wear waterproof pants while snowboarding or in the dead of winter/cold.

I just got the EMS Apollo Schoeller softshell pant and used it the other day. It worked great and I never overheated. They're on sale right now but they're still pricey. For now, my gore-tex pants have been relegated to the closet in favor of the Marmot precip pants for severe wind / rain.

J

Last edited:
I agree with JASONST on the scholler,I have Marmot ATV for 3 seasons,the cold ones :) and BD vertigos? for the warmer ones.Light,semi weather proof and fast drying.I also have a scholler jacket and love it.EMS apollo I think.Just carry your summer(light) shells for down poors,Good gaters are a must to keep your feet dry and are usually easier to repair :eek: (wild crampon gash) :mad: than any shell,soft or hard.ATV with a wicking layer is almost always suficent for me. :cool:

My brother swears by the new Scholler fabrics. "BeyondFleece" will make you a state of the art pair of Schoeller pants to your own precise measurements for same price or less as other brand name pants.... :D

I hiked in bibs once. Ooopps. Too hot and difficult to vent, so now I just use them skiing.
I bought a pair of schoeller pants this year and absolutly love them. My bibs cost around $200 and the schoeller pants were &90 on sale at ems. I've used them hiking and cross country skiing. They consistently outperform my goretex pants.

somewhere in between

I have found that the REI fitness pants, which are a loose fitting lycra, to be a great weight. I run hot & sweaty, and that is the only layer I need down to about 20 degrees, and if I get too warm I can unzip the ankles and pull the lower legs up to make what must look like to others passing on the trail pretty darn weird shorts, but it works. And they have a couple of pockets up front. These give a little more flexibility than the cycling tights, which I used to use. The Marmots are in the pack for deep snow, wind or butt sliding, but they fill with moisture very fast if I keep them on.

I wear microfleece pants for hiking, skiing, climbing, mountain biking, whatever in the cooler climates. Then, I supplement them with either full-zip Goretex pants (with suspenders for lift-served skiing), or EMS convertible pants, depending on the conditions. In very cold conditions I usually carry full side zip 200 weight fleece pants as well.

I look like a wierdo

On days that will be above 0 I've worn poly long pants and some cut off fleece shorts. Believe it or not it works great. I cut them off just above the knee and saved the bottoms. I added some elastic and when I stop for long breaks or lunch I pull the bottoms up as high as I can. It seems to do the trick. The only issue is the elastics tend to break in the cold. I'm gonna work on it some more.

On days when it looks below 0 or the wind is very high I wear a pair of North Face mountaineering pants, but I still have issues with over heating. I also need some better suspenders!