winter peak bagging with non insulated boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to mention that but Jeebus beat me to it. It is very much and individual thing. I know that when my brother and I are outside he can be in a much less insulated boot or no insulation at all and still be warm where as my feet are cold. Given the fact that my feet seem to be a little colder than others on a usual basis, I think I should definitley not risk injury to my feet and get some insulated boots before headng out. I'd rather error on the safe side.

adirobdack46r said:
A mountaineering/ice climbing boot, it seems these are way too stiff to be comfy......

Just remember.. If you have a soft soled boot, it can be very tough to climb steep sections if you have dig into the snow. You will find yourself working the front of your foot quite a bit.

Geri and I both have the same model of boot - the Columbia Ice Dragon for winter day hikes. As stated earlier - everyone's warmth level is differant. Geri's feet do not get cold on the same hike that mine do. These boots are fairly stiff and work well for digging into snow and with crampons/snowshoes. They fit well with enough room for our toes to move and no heel lift.

The simlar boot made by North Face is the Chilkats. We tried those but both found the heel area to be too large.

Our longest winter hike so far has been a little over 10 miles - this weekend we will do a 14 miler. The coldest temp we have hiked in was 9 below zero.

We tried using our regular backpacking boots but found our feet were too cold.

Next year we will be doing some overnight trips, so plan on investing in a plastic boot, but for day hikes - a good stiff winter hiking boot would be our recomendation.

Jeebus said:
the problem with individual results with boots is that they are, as the word suggests, Individual.
everyone's circulation is different. Why not try Scarpa Alphas as a double plastic boot? $149 at sierratradingpost at the moment and they have a decent range of sizes still available.

p.s. I am in no way affiliated with sierratradingpost.

The Scarpa Alphas are NOT the warmest plastic boots for overnighters...they are more suited for climbing in the ravines....(ice climbing).

Don't do it!!!
I would not bother with expensive tech-type stuff, either. I would recommend any winter boot made for cold weather, with a rubber bottom and leather upper, such as Snowclaw by LLBean, or Titanium by Columbia.
Go two sizes large. I wear size 11, but my winter boots are size 13. This allows for two insulating footbeds and thick wool-blend socks.
I snowshoe every weekend in the mountains and I've settled on this method after years and many miles. I find the plastic techy boots uncomfortable and not as warm.
Don't risk disaster with the summer boots!

well, winter boots won't be crampon compatible, i.e. winter boots don't have vibram soles. that's all. if crampons are not a consideration then sure, go with winter boots...$60 bucks instead of $200 plus.

Jeebus said:
well, winter boots won't be crampon compatible, i.e. winter boots don't have vibram soles. that's all. if crampons are not a consideration then sure, go with winter boots...$60 bucks instead of $200 plus.

True, not compatible with step-in crampons, but I use both 4-point and 10-point strap-on crampons with my Columbia boots with excellent results. I guess I shouln't knock plastic boots, I am a baby when it comes to comfort. Most people are probably comfortable in plastic boots, but rubber/leather boots are more comfortable and warmer, IMHO.

bobandgeri said:
The simlar boot made by North Face is the Chilkats. We tried those but both found the heel area to be too large.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My regular size (9) hasn't caused me any trouble, but I would have liked to get a 1/2 size or a size larger. I didn't because the heel lift in the larger sizes was too much to take.
Maybe I should have tried those Columbias-I'm always wishing for a boot that's snug in the heel, but roomier in the toe-box.

Matt

Not sure where some of these rules of thumbs come from, but these are all just opinions.

Mine - Non-insulated leather-lined Salomon climbing boots. Full step-in crampon compatible, and by far the most comfortable boots I have ever worn...spring, summer, or fall.

As mentioned by someone previously, there is a lot of management involved. VBL socks keep the inside dry, which will keep the boots from freezing overnight. Changing to camp booties at night help to keep your feet warm (even my climbing partners in plastic double-boots do this).

Just my opinion, and what I've found work best for me.