Winter Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akramitis

Reaction score
I am in the market for a winter tent. After reading various books and magazines, checking many manufacturers’ and online hiking stores’ websites, I narrowed my choices down to only three tents:

Hilleberg Nallo 2​
Hilleberg Akto​
Kelty Quartz 1​

Akto, the lightest one seems a little too tight for me. I am 6'1" tall and ~235lbs. But that may be OK since I am not planning long backpacking trips. I need a tent for overnight stays in the high peaks area. The Quartz is roomier but its 32 inches peak height seems too short for me. I need at least a 35 inches clearance when I sit. Also, its cheap price makes me wonder if it is up to snuff for harsh weather. It is also the heaviest of all three but is less than ½ the price of Akto and a little more than ⅓ of Nallo’s price. Nallo seems to be the best choice but it is the most expensive and I wonder if its bigger size may be not such a good thing since my body heat would have to heat so much more empty space. I almost exclusively hike alone.

Their price, packed weight, and dimensions (Length x Width x Height) are:

Nallo
$386.75
4lbs 10oz
87 x 52 x 40

Quartz
$144.95
5lbs 6oz
86 x 43 x 32

Akto
$293.25
3lbs 9oz
87 x 52 x 36

My biggest concern is weight, then comfort/warmth, and then price but all would play a big role in my decision.

Do any of you have a personal experience with any of these three tents?
Thanks.

I like Kelty tents, but they will not compare to Hilleberg for severe conditions. Think of the Kelty Quartz as a 3 1/2 season tent, good for almost everything, but not severe wind, heavy snow and certainly not for above tree-line.
Hilleberg is on par with Bibler.

If you will be camping below timberline, many people do perfectly well with 3-season tents in winter. Might give you more choices and save you some weight and a few pennies.

Doug

Akto

I post a lot on backpacking.net aka The Lightweight Backpacker. If you look through the forums (Backpacking Community), the Akto gets high marks for winter use. I've never seen one myself. Biblers get recommended too, but are pretty expensive. You might also look at the Black Diamond tents.

Akramitis said:
I decided to go with the Nallo 2.
IIRC, Chris Townsend (a well known hiking book author and long distance hiker) likes the Nallo 2. He thought the Akto to be a little small.

A little bit of space can be very nice if you have to sit out some nasty weather as well as you get to bring some toys inside with you. I have a SD Clip Flashlight CD for solo use. Supposedly a 2 person tent--if the two people are rather small.

Doug

Light and comfort may be polar opposites, but don't have to be.
I'm not 100% but I think Hilleberg tents are not free standing which would prevent me from ever buying one.
If you want to spend 500-600 go Bibler or even better Integral Design (i just bought an MK1 xl last season). But these may be over kill for what you intend to do.
As one poster said a below timberline a 3 season is fine.
Other suggestions woud be the Black Diamond FirstLight (you may not find a better weight to strength ratio) or Sierrra Design convertables. I have one of them and use all year and they are great tents.

One of the first things to decide is if you want a single wall or double. Then narrow from there.
Good luck. Dropping huge money on tents can be a very rewarding experience :)

As an owner of several 4-season tents I have been most impressed with Bibler for weight, space and comfort. The Fitzroy will accomodate your frame and have plenty of room to make your stay comfortable.

In moderate conditions, I use the Bibler I-Tent more as a solo shelter or tight for two. At 4.5 pounds it is one tough tent. In extreme conditions I'll use my North Face Moutain 24 (now Mountain 25) or TNF Evolution 45 if supporting a group.

This past year I did buy the Black Diamond Firstlight and used it on Mount Hood and Mount Rainier. This year I will be trying the Firstlight in the backcoutry in the ADKs. I want to know how it will hold p to the cold of the ADKs. I have some comments here on these tents.