Winter's Back!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
The Mount Washington Obs says "Snow has been falling (and still is) on the summit almost non-stop since Friday, with accumulations of at least 20 inches."

Jay Peak Resort says they have a "legit 15 inches" on the ground and it's still snowing. They're speculating if they can stay open into May.

Killington is reporting 19"+ of new snow and has reopened 30+ trails. In contrast, my lawn is way too green for April 10th!

The Mount Washington Obs says "Snow has been falling (and still is) on the summit almost non-stop since Friday, with accumulations of at least 20 inches."
This is the worst thing that I've ever heard in my entire life. I guess that I won't be heading to the Whites for a while...

-Mr. Kill

Thing I am learning, while there is snow on Washington and The Presi's there may not be much snow on the others and with totals down this year. I think the future forecasted warm up will make for some beautiful hiking. Im thinking of adding snowshoes to my load next week.:D Hopefully this system will move out and open up the mountains for a few days.
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/forecast.php

Last edited:
Dont forget the RMC Gray Knob conditions web page http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/weatherconditions.html, the update is thursday at shift change for the caretaker. Gray Knob is a good representative spot of a north slope at 4000 feet without a lot of sun which is what you need to plan for despite possibly far better conditions in open sunny areas. I expect the snow totals will go up this week with some burn off on Friday due to the expected sun and warm temps.

I can attest to this. Did Moosilauke via Gorge Brook yesterday and was surprised to find 8-10" of new snow on the top half of the trail.

Last couple of days it's been isolated squalls and flurries, drove over Kanc Tuesday 4/10 and high in the pass, there was new snow. Today Did Welch Dickey and snow level was below 2700 feet although nothing stuck on our trip. High peaks are whiter now then Monday & much whiter than they were in late March.