Wittenberg Cornell Slide Loop 10/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Got up early Saturday, 3am (or was it late Friday??) and headed up to the Catskills by 3:30 on what would be a long day. Got to the Woodland Valley parking lot between 6:30 and 7:00. Used the bathroom (don't you love a trailhead with a bathroom?) and went to see if I could pay for parking. Nobody up, so I geared up and headed for the trail.

Crossed the road into the campground, and looked around for the trail where the guidebook said, but I just didn't see it. After 5 minutes I decided to go back to the parking lot and do the loop in reverse since the Phonecia East Branch (PEB) trailhead was there. On the way out of the campground I noticed a sign confirming the trailhead was where I was looking. Turns out some big SUV was parked close to the path and it blocked my view of the trail, which goes by VERY close to campsite 45- but I didn't see anything that morning:D . (And by the way, am I the only person who has trouble getting started in the morning- can't find trailhead, can't find trail?).

Headed up the Witt. Cornell Slide Trail (WCST). First 2.5 miles are really nice, contiunally goes up, but at an easy grade and comfortable footing. Weather was comfortable and the trail looked beautiful with all the colored leaves lying on and along it. Took a break at the junction of Terrace Mt Lean to trail- then headed up to Wittenberg. Trrail continued nicely, and then headed more north and started with some steep rock climbs that required all fours. Nothing terrible, but not the easy grade and trail to this point. Headed back east out to the summit of Wittenberg. Wow. Theres a great open ledge, and a great view of the Ashokan Reservoir plus countless mountains. Thought I would be the first up that morning, but ran into a gentleman, Dennis, who was backpacking along that way (and who accompanied me through a majority of the WCST). Thought for a minute of dithcing my hike and staying here all day (nap!) but headed on.

Moved towards Cornell, easily downward, but then a few more of those where do I go up? and must use all fours climbs. Again relatively easy and headed over to the Cornell true summit. Small spot, weak views (tough to follow Wittenberg). Moved along, ran into Dennis again and we moved down between Cornell and Slide (with a quick stop for some great views north just past the summit of Cornell.

Rested at base of Slide for the relatively long and steep climb up, then moved on. Again, an interesting spot or two to climb up, but most noticeable was the elevation gain (could see the summit get closer (glad I didn'lt have a full pack like Dennis:) ).

Moved up near the last ascent (stopped for water at a spring around the side) and headed up the "ladders". I have heard them called that, but look like stairs to me. Final ascent over, and climbed up on the rocks to summit. Trees partically obstruct the view, but still at 4200 feet a nice view around the valley. Lunch time, and some clouds rolled in, I was concerened about rain. Decided to take off quick- figured to make up some time on the descent.

Headed down WCST to the PEB- the descent was long but forgiving, footing wasn't bad at all. Trail then heads North up Rt 47- roadwalking uphill at 10 miles wasn't fun, but gave a chance to stretch out the legs a bit. Right after Lake Winisook, there is a driveway with a sign for a public easement that goes through the private property that helps avoid the drop to 47 and subsequent ascent back to the junction with the Panther/Giant Ledge Trail. From that side there's no sign for the easement, just some branches blocking the path. Its right where the PEB starts to go down if heading west.

Went East on PEB, more downhill with excellent grading and footing. Continued down for a couple of miles, then dropped into a valley which I figured was the end. Crossed over what appeared to be a dried up river bed, and saw a steep climb, maybe a couple hundred feet?? But after going downhill Since Slide summit I was not looking forward to it. Good news was rock stairs in place so footing was easy. Trail didn't go to top of hill, but skirted around side of ridge. Somehat shortly thereafter, headed down and back into the parking lot, some 9 hours later. All of the trails were in very good condition, an occassional muddy spot but all easily navigable.

Campground left a nice note to come and pay the $4 before leaving, and oh yes, we have your license plate number just in case.

I usually don't write trip reports here, I just enjoyed the day so much wanted to write it up. Left home the digital, brought that old thing that takes film, so no pictures right now (and based on past performance it'll probably be a while..). Drove home, pulled in at 7:00. Long day....

Last edited:
One of my favorite hikes. Sounds like a great day, thanks for sharing. Would have tagged along, but unfortunately had to attend a funeral for a friend. Anyway, sounds like you should be able to tackle the Devil's Path 25 mile Dayhike now! Still going on the 23rd? Good luck, looking forward to more trip reports. :D

I've always hated that kick-ass rock stair climb on the other side of the campground. I did the loop as a backpack last year or so, camped between cornell and slide and went up those steps... Ugh, I so much wanted to tresspass down the woods road to the end of Woodland Valley!!!

Let me know if you still are planning on the DP on the 23rd. I'm still free. I just spend this past weekend on a Kayak camp on Fire Island, NY with Warren. Had an absolute blast my first kayak camping experience and my second chance of doing a surf launch and a land in my kayak. What a rush, though I am not comfortable enough for anything more serious than the 2ft breakers. It was kind of scary when trying to find a place to land with a loaded kayak. I think I can handing launches better than landings.

Jay

Jay/Rob- plans are still on for the 23rd, barring bad weather.

Jay, I'll email you with details. A camp/Kayak sounds very cool. Two foot breakers? Two inches is enough for me.. Maybe someday. There were at least a couple of nice and legal (think I saw DEC discs) camping spots between Cornell and Slide I put into memory possibly for next year.

Rob- enjoy your trip!

Yes, there are a bunch of DEC marked campsites between Cornell and Slide. I camped closer to Cornell on one of them. There is a real nice campsite just before the climb to Slide but technically, I think it's illegal though somebody was there when I camped out.

Timing, timing launches and landings will trump skill anyday. Thats probably how I survived! :)

Jay

Sounds like you had a great hike. It was nice in the Catskills this weekend. I was actually camping at Woodland Valley this past weekend. Did Peekamoose and Table on Saturday.

That's funny. I think the guy I was hiking with was heading over to Table to stay at the lean to that night.

I probably was pretty close to you at some point on Saturday at Woodland Valley......

Two great weekends in a row in the Catskills.

Glad I found this board -lots of great info here. Was on Slide on Saturday 10/9 after camping at Woodland Valley Friday night (we stayed the whole weekend) -- site 58 -- Carol, where were you? Anyway, my wife, son (8) and I took a guided hike with Jon Bentley leading as part of the Lark in the Park Catskills Park Centennial celebration. We had a party of 15, which has both an up and downside. Upside was that we are neophytes to Catskills hiking so the pace was slow and managable, plus we had celebrities amongst us -- David and Carol White who are officers in the Catskills 3500 club and the authors of Catskill Day Hikes for All Seasons; downside was the family that followed us about a half-step too closely, and that guy with the monotone voice who prattled on about everything and nothing and nearly put us all to sleep. That said, it was very enjoyable.

We set out at 10AM and reached the summit at 1:15PM. The trail was muddy in spots at lower elevations and very rocky throughout. This was the first hike for my wife after foot surgery in March -- she was a trooper, but had some trouble on the way down with the rocks being very ankle unfriendly (is this typical for the Catskills -- softball size rocks on the trails? Rather treacherous!) We made it back to the parking lot at about 3:30. Bought a signed copy of the White's book and my son is already very interested in becoming a member of the 3500 Club. Any recommendations on what the next Catskill mountain we should tackle? An easy well marked trail for us beginners would be best as my wife continues her recovery, we'll tackle the more strenuous ones as she strengthens. My son, of course, was the fittest of the family and could solo Denali. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tenderfoot, A few other fairly easy Catskill 3500 hikes that are in the Day Hikes book are:
- Windham High Peak (great northern view just east of the summit and some interesting rock graffiti dating back to 1851 at the summit)
- Balsam Lake Mountain (great views from the fire tower)
- Panther (a 3 mile round trip extension of the Giant Ledge hike) great views on both
These generally have less loose rock than you found on Slide.

There are loose rocks pretty much all over the Catskills, however, the trail you took to Slide is far worse than most Catskill trails. The Catskills are composed of Sandstone shale that erodes easily and breaks up into those loose rocks. Trails that are old roads, such as the west approach to Slide, have eroded down to bedrock and can be bad. Steep sections of the Devils Path also have a lot of loose rock. But you will also find many sections of Catskill trails that are pleasant foot trails.

I was at site #4 right by the office. I have done both Panther and Balsam Mountain Lake and they are both easy hikes. If you do Balsam Mountain out of Mill Brook it is 3 miles one way. It is on an old jeep road. Panther was also a nice hike and the views from Giant Ledges are awesome. Although longer, I also have done Peekamoose and Table (almost 9 miles round trip) and found the hike was not too strenuous. There is alot of level trail interspersed with steep. Red Hill, another fire tower mountian, is only about 1 mile each way and is a pleasant hike. I found the views from Tremper to be nice but would not hike up the jeep road. I found that fairly dull although not strenuous. I am also looking forward to adding to my Catskill "collection"

Catskill notes

Just a few notes:

If I was to do that circular, if coming from the south, I would have started at the trailhead on County 47 where the PEB comes out and started with the ascent of Slide but used the Curtis-Ormsbee Trail (LP). I have camped on the evning of June 25, 1970 at the secret cave just below the summit of Wittenberg (illegal now), which has incredible views. By the way, you can still camp there during the winter! Great place! Also, I remember climbing on all 4s the rock face up Slide, before the ladder(steps) were there. With full backpack, that was fun ;)

Did you know I was a personal friend of Frank Bouton and helped in the building of the Bouton Memorial Shelter on Table Mt., so I have a personal fondness for that summit.

Carol - you are really progressing: You using my southern approach to the Catskills anymore? Probably not this time if you camped at Woodland Valley.