Woman's Hiking Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
My daughter has informed me she wants to finish the 48 this summer which means around 20 peaks to go. It also means her Dad has a free pass to go hiking most weekends (yeah!).

Her current trail shoes are a bit worse for wear and need to be replaced. I was hoping for some recommendations from the group as to types and brands. She will be doing day hikes only, but some will be multi peaks with the longest probably around 20 miles. Her pack will be under 15 lbs and she doesn't have any injuries or needs beyond normal support etc.

Asolo--try these

This brand has worked well for me for lots and lots of day hikes, some long, some short, many 4000 footers and higher.

Not too heavy, not too light. 3-season only, though, not warm enough (or dry enough) for winter for me.

I have Asolo Fusion GTX, that may be "last year's model" but the Strynger GTX looks similar.

First, I would suggest not getting hung up on "women's" boots - a boot may be designed to have a better fit for women in general, but that doesn't mean they fit HER better. If she cant' find something that feels right on the women's side, try the men's (which often has a wider selection, anyway)

My current boots are Vasque Wasatch. They're comfortable so far, but I haven't hiked in them much yet. My partner loves her Montrail Torres, if you can find them (they seem to be discontinued), I know a lot of people who swear by their Asolo's, too. They make a number of light, but supportive boots.

She also might want to consider low-tops/shoes.

I'll start with the Asolo's and also look at some of the trail running shoes. I am not concerned with winter hiking at the moment, but I may want to have some level of water proofing for her (she has a tendency to fully enjoy the stream crossings :) so that might eliminate the trail runners.

Maybe, maybe not. I can't vouch for it, but I have met people on the trail who're wearing a combo of trail runners/low-cut hiking boots and stretchy-looking half-gaiters to keep out debris and water.

I can't imagine it would be of any use if "enjoy" means "jumps around in repeatedly" but it might do for a quick run-through.

And you know who we girls love our accessories ;)