Worcester Range VT - Sat May 31st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
Saturday May 31st. Worcester Mountain Range in Vermont. Hiked with Dave from the GMC, he had this hike posted on the GMC web site and i contacted him Friday. We met at 7:30AM at the park and ride in Richmond VT. We spotted his car at the Middlesex Trailhead and jumped in my car and found our way to the Worcester TH. Rough roads in those parts in my little Mazda, but we made it. We started out around 8:00 and hiked up Worcester Mountain, it was my first time as well as his hiking this range from this side. I had been wanting do it since i moved to VT (last summer). Every time i hiked Mansfield i would look across the valley at the Worcester Range and wished i had done that instead.
It was and easy hike up Worcester, just wet, VERY WET, so kind of slow going. We were at the summit quickly as it is only 3290'. We continued along the Skyline Trail over to Mount Hunger (about 4 Miles on the Ridge) with a steady heavy rain. Trail was good and muddy, would have been great views in a few spot had we not been in the clouds. There was an amazing amount of Moose droppings in between the Summit of Worcester and the junction of the Ridge Trail that goes to Stowe Pinnacle. Neither of us have ever seen that many droppings. I was hoping to run into a Moose or two, but never did.
We had both opted against heading down to SP because we had both been there so much, not worth hiking down 1000' in the rain and then back up to the Skyline Trail. We stopped for a quick lunch and then we were moving again. I was up on this ridge on May 11th and there was lots of snow, now it is mostly gone , exception being a few patches in the shaded areas.
We were soon at the Summit of Mount Hunger, which normally has incredible views. Well not today. Rain was still coming down good. We passed many Canadian hikers along the way who were heading to SP from Hunger. All were as wet as us. After quickly walking over the summit of Hunger we headed down Middlesex trail. This trail was pretty much just slabs of wet slippery rock for about 1/2 of a mile. There was one slab that someone (thankfully) attached a rope to. Very helpful in the rain. This trail seemed to go on forever, but before long we were at Davids car and heading over to Worcester Mountain Trail to get my car. Then the sun came out!!!
I think it was about a 10 mile day. I plan on doing it again in nice weather.
Good times i tell ya!

Last edited: