Working on my 4000’s this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flounder

Reaction score
I’m working on my 4000’s this weekend and would like to see if any one wants to make a trip with me.

Either Sat or Sunday will work for me (or both); I am looking to get:

Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail (loop with Desolation to add some miles?)

Owl’s Head via Lincoln Woods (possible Bushwhack options or a traverse while picking up galehead and / or Garfield using a car spot)

Jefferson via Great Gulf and Six Husbands (we can add a loop to Madison or Washington for added fun)

I’m certainly open to suggestions as well and have other trips on the list I need to get. Drop me a note if you are interested.

Have you looked at the forecast?? Saturday particularly looks rotten, though I supposed if you like rain Owl's Head is sheltered. Might not be a great weekend for the higher peaks though.

Weather

I saw the weather report; it will be a bit wet on Saturday for sure but I believe it will be light showers off and on. Sunday looks far better.

If Saturday is the call -- Owl's Head would be the best trip no doubt. I don't mind the rain / mud; especially this time of year when it is reasonably warm and I am properly prepared.

Mt Washington Observatory forecast

Saturday, the showers will start to taper off though as the initial band sweeps out. A high pressure system from the North will try to force its way in which will keep any lingering showers to the south and start to break up the cloud cover slightly. A strong easterly flow over the region though keeps the potential for scattered rain showers in the forecast well into next week.

Warning on Owls head, the NWS is expecting lots of rain & Lincoln and Franconia Brooks could be high; it takes a while for streamflows to subside after the rain goes away, remember that a good chunk of the western Pemi Wilderness drains through those brooks.

Watch the USGS streamflow graphs carefully. (sorry, can't help you convert the numbers to a qualitative sense of how easy/hazardous brook crossings would be)

Tuco and I hiked Owls Head last year, a few days after the Katrina remnants came through, it was OK though we bushwhacked on the western edge of Franconia Brook to avoid the crossings. There was lots of sand debris scoured along the shore, showing that the brook had been quite a bit higher the day before.

I'd only consider Owl's Head if you took the usual winter bushwhack. I did Passaconaway in October when Southern NH got the flooding rain & the whole blueberry ledge trail was a stream so don't go there.

I'd look for trails with no significant water crossings, Tecumseh, Pierce, Osceola, Cannon, Kinsmans (Fishin Jimmy likely to be pond like in places)

I'm also working on my 4000's, but I don't have Saturday's off :( (I have Sun, Mon, and Tues off). My bet is on Monday to be the best chance for anything being somewhat dry so I may go up then.
I agree with the warnings about water levels on the way to Owl's Head. Clown and I were coming back from there the same day (I think) that arghman and Tuco were headed in, we passed each other at one of the stream crossings. It was very wet walking even taking the bushwhack route. As mentioned, you could see where the water had been much higher the day or two before.

Chas.

I have Carrigain to do, but would need to hike it another weekend - I am dog sitting. Keep putting the trips out there as you do the 4k's. I still have several to do also.

Have a good, safe weekend!

Hanna

Abster said:
I have Carrigain to do, but would need to hike it another weekend - I am dog sitting. Keep putting the trips out there as you do the 4k's. I still have several to do also.

Have a good, safe weekend!

Hanna

Hanna
I am doing Carrigan on 27May with my son. Later that weekend both Trypyramids, Whiteface and Passaconoway. If you are looking for companions.

Last edited:
This site gives a good idea of work might be in store for the Northeast. Monday looks to be heavier in the southern part of NH, but a 100 mile shift could move the center back north. Still, 5 day totals of 3-4" in the whites, with central Mass projections at 7"+.

Cummulative precip forecast