Your favorite gear that is no longer made?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kinda off-topic - has anyone heard of Boulder Designs? I came across someone selling a BD sleeping bag. can't seem to find any info on them, but the seller says they used to make high-end sleeping bags in the 90s...

I have a little Coleman 2 person backpacking tent that I bought at Canadian Tire in Ontario a few years ago. I payed maybe $80 cdn for it and it's relatively lightweight, well ventilated and stable. I've never been able to find anything about it on the website. It's a shame because it's a great tent for a backpacker that's just starting out and has a limited budget. I'd have to look at the tent, but I think it was called a Coleman Xpedition or something.

Back in teh 70s when I was a skier, I had a pair of down mitts that were just the warmest I'd ever had. I can't find anything that even comes close to em these days.

Remeber those EMS rough leather out Frankenstein boots? I had a pair of those in the 70s. There is nothing that will hold up as well these days. It took years to break em in, they fit like a glove and were 100% re-soleable. You waxed em with bees wax to waterproof them. Where did I put them? OH I remember now, my wife threw em out 30 years ago!

karhu pinnacle skis

best boards i ever strapped on. very light and snappy thanks to an air channeled, wood (birch) core. they were advertised as "backcountry cross trainers" and they lived up to the billing.

when one broke a few years back, i found out they don't make them any more. i replaced them with the karhu pyxis, which is a nice ski, but a tank compared to the pinnacles.

anybody have an old pair of 190 pinnacles (or even one!) they want to send (sell) to a good home in the western mountains of maine? i promise to take good care of them, and exercise them often. very often.

Kelty used to make an amazing pair of hiking pants called "Boulder" pants. They were the softest and lightest pair of pants ever. They fit me perfectly, kept me warm even when wet, dried almost as soon as the rain stopped, and wicked liked nuthin else! I have two pairs left that sport assorted holes all over them...so I save them for bushwacks! Every pair of hiking pants I've bought since Kelty stopped making them has been a poor replacement :(

Funny you should bring this up. I tore my last pair of convertable pants to shreds on my last trip.

I'm looking for replacements but can't seem to find any that have a 6" short inseam except only one, the Sportif Taho Rim. Everything else are either 8" to 10" and that just grabs your knee in the wrong place when going up.

Winans Camel

Cannondale made a backpack that was a compromise between an external and internal frame pack. It's frame was kind of an hourglass, so there was a lower part to hang a bag from & a flat upper shelf, but most of the frame was along your spine (but didn't touch it). Comfortable, stable, easy to pack, and pretty rugged. I miss mine...

Let me see, my pivetta boots, my fabiano boots, my sigg 88 cook set and
of course there was my 65 norton matchless that carried me to the
mountains.

Nike's original ACG line included pairs of shorts that were cool, lightweight and had zippered front pockets. Perfect for summer hiking! I'll be wearing them when I do the TriP's this weekend.

bob