Zealand Mountain - Number 45!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forty8

Reaction score
Sunday June 5, I left my house in Mass. at 5:00,met a friend at the Ritz Crawford at 7:30, and hit the Zealand Trail by 8:00. Zealand trail was in good shape all the way to the hut, and well deserving of its reputation, rather gentle and easy. After a lengthly break at the hut, we headed up the Twinway to Zealand Mountain. (Why I didn't run over and tag it when I did the Bonds a couple years ago, I don't know.) The Twinway was also in good shape, with a small amount of snow remaining just before the summit, which we got to about noon -number 45 for me!

We reversed our direction, but this time took the spur trail to Zeacliff Pond, making just one post hole in about three feet of snow left on the spur trail. After a nice lunch on the rocks overlooking the pond, we went to the Twinway and continued down until we reached the Lend-A-Hand trail. Returning to Zealand Rd. over Mt. Hale via Lend-A-Hand and Hale-Brook had been an option from the beginning, and since it was only four o'clock, we decided to do it. Lend-A-Hand looks like it gets much less use, but is a beautiful trail, through pine and hardwood forests, and with a nice steep climb approaching the summit of Hale.

There was nothing extraordinary about the Hale-Brook trail (or the viewless summit of Mt. Hale for that matter). We returned to the Hale-Brook trailhead where my car had been spotted. It was 7:30, 13.5 miles, 11.5 hours (including breaks); it was a long but fulfilling day.

Cabot, Waumbek, and saving for last: Carrigain.

Congrats!

Just three left. Enjoy them!

I currenly have 36 and I'm also saving Carrigain for last.

Congratulations on getting to 45. I also have three left. Carrigain will also be my last peak...probably sometime in July. Seems to be a very popular finishing destination. Must be good. Madison and Adams are my other two.

viewless?? I beg to differ!

forty8 said:
viewless summit of Mt. Hale .

Didn't it occur to you to climb onto that gigantic cairn? Fine view of Willey Range and the Twins.

t4.jpg

full size

t5.jpg

full size

Well, it did occur to me to climb the truly massive cairn. I'm really not sure why I didn't as I assumed that's why it's there, maybe next time! :)

Bigjim said:
Carrigain ... Seems to be a very popular finishing destination. Must be good.

This thread makes me wonder - I have had Bondcliff in mind for my 48th since I've already been to the other Bonds. However, I haven't been on Carrigain yet, either, so now I'm wondering which I should do first? Hmmm.... :confused:

Bondcliff and Carrigain are both on my final 18. Many finish on Carrigain because of the views of 46 other peaks. I think it is Cannon and Galehead that you cannot see fro Carrigain. Bondcliff seems like the coolest of all, but it is pretty remote and if you want to celebrate with non hikers it is an unlikely place to get them out to. I am finishing on Jackson for this reason, and even then I still not get my wife and son up them...

forty8 said:
Cabot, Waumbek, and saving for last: Carrigain.

If your interested you can bag Cabot, Bulge, Horn, Waumbek and N. and S. weeks in one traverse! Two 4 ks, and 4 highest hundred at once. I need the 2 Weeks for the highest hundred, if the "Death March" interest you I could be up for it!
I saved Waumbek and Cabot for close to last also. Carrigain was in the middle, but it would have been a nice last peak, I ended up on the Tripyramids for #47-48.

I've heard that many others save Isolation for last. I never really made a plan to save one in particular for last, until I did Isolation last year. I had made plans a few times for Carrigain, but for one reason or another, I ended up not going. After Isolation I was starting to close in on it, and I realized, hmmm I haven't done Carrigain yet. I guess I'll save it for last. It was decided almost by accident!

amstony said:
If your interested you can bag Cabot, Bulge, Horn, Waumbek and N. and S. weeks in one traverse! Two 4 ks, and 4 highest hundred at once. I need the 2 Weeks for the highest hundred, if the "Death March" interest you I could be up for it!

Death March sounds great. I'm checking my calendar.

If I had Bondcliff & Carrigain on my list to do last, I'm tempted to save Bondcliff although it's a longer day & harder unless you have to do Carrigain from Route 302 then the 14 miles is not much different than the 18 to Bondcliff & back.

More than 1/2 done with all 48 in three seasons, unsure what I'll leave maybe Moosilauke, although Carrigain, Isolation & Owl's Head are among those left

About 8 solo trips left, Adams & Madison leading the list although Carrigain is left too

Still have about 1/2 of the winter peaks to do, too many choices still, should be different than 1st two trips through the list (Moriah - NE 4K's & Cannon - 2nd 48)

Had non-hikers go up Tram on the last day the Tram was open during summer season, 1/2 price ice cream!! :D

I did Owls Head as a day hike. I did not find it to bad just a long day. Went out on a cool fall morning and even though there was no view on top the slide offered some neat perspectives back towards Lafy and Lincoln. River crossings can be a bit difficult if it has been raining for a bit.

I to did not plan on have Carrigian as my last peak. Just worked out that way as well. The views on Bondcliff are nice but I thought they were better on Bond. My avatar is of my son and I on Bondcliff looking south east if you’re curious. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Bigjim- I'm envious of your avatar pic on Bondcliff. When I was there it was in driving rain and fog. I saw little but the rocks on the trail! It's high on my list to repeat.

Almost there!!
I am just beginning my journey of the 48--your an inspiration : )

Bondcliff

Bigjim said:
The views on Bondcliff are nice but I thought they were better on Bond. My avatar is of my son and I on Bondcliff looking south east if you’re curious.
I tagged Zealand, Bond and West Bond in a September drizzle and fog, no visibility. Stayed overnight at the Guyot Shelter and hoped for better weather in the morning but no such luck. Went back without tagging Bondcliff, saving it for a better day. On Guyot that morning, the fog lifted for a second and I think I might have been able to glimpse Galehead Hut. Thanks for the advice!

I think Carrigan is a great place to finish up-excellent views! Finished my
1st round on Galehead @ night with group of friends and stayed and
partied at the hut.

Best of luck, enjoy!!

17 Left...

The celebration at a hut is a cool idea! Here's the 17 that I have remaining, which I plan to accomplish in 13 hikes:

1 Washington & Monroe
2 Madison & Adams
3 North Twin
4 Bondcliff
5 Cabot
6 Carrigan
7 Moriah
8 Middle Carter & South Carter
9 Carter Dome
10 Wildcat & Wildcat D
11 Owl's Head
12 Middle Tripyramid
13 Osceola East Peak

My planned routes / combinations are based on Mohamed Ellozy's route suggestions ( see: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/nhnotes.html). Of these, I think I prefer my final to be either Carrigan or Adams.

Hey Mark - enjoying the shirt?

I finished last year on... your guessed it - Carrigain. I guess that if I had it to do over again, I might finish on Lafayette since I regard it as the finest peak (Esp in winter) Been on Bondcliff 3x now and haven't yet had a bad day!