Zealand Mountain - Number 45!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jasonst said:
I guess that if I had it to do over again, I might finish on Lafayette since I regard it as the finest peak (Esp in winter) Been on Bondcliff 3x now and haven't yet had a bad day!

Lafayette is certainly a favorite of mine. I've been to the summit, and I'm not kidding, at least 30 times. I've still got to get back to Bondcliff on a nice day.

I don't think anyone can go wrong by finishing on either Bondcliff or Carrigan. Both are among my favorites. I hit both on crystal clear October days. I finished my 48 on Washington. You can laugh if you want but it was a wonderful day for me. I was accompanied by my kids. We had our first stay at the Lakes of the Clouds and woke up to a spectacular undercast sky. We summited under clear skies. The picture of my kids standing on the cog tracks where the gulfside trail crosses it hangs above my couch and reminds us everyday of the great adventure we had.

I'm currently working on the Trailwrights list. I only have 60 to go. ;) I think I'll finish that list on Adams. West Bond sounds like a good place to finish the winter 4's.

You're getting close forty8, save Carrigan for a clear day. You won't be disappointed.

Congrats in advance,
Glenn

Mark, if you want company on any of your hikes, send me an email.

"Many finish on Carrigain because of the views of 46 other peaks. I think it is Cannon and Galehead that you cannot see fro Carrigain." I believe that there are also two other NH 4s that you cannot see from the top of Carrigain, but what are they? But, no question, Carrigain is a fine finishing peak, in any season. If the stream crossings near the road are high, remember that you can bushwhack the first couple tenths of a mile on the south side of the Carrigain Brook.

I am planning on a north-south traverse of the two Heads (Gale and Owls) this Saturday; if anyone is interested, let's meet at the Lincoln Woods parking on the Kanc at 6 am. I have a ride around to the Gale River Trailhead lined up if I end up soloing, so not desperately seeking a car spot.

Dr. Dasypodidae - I was on Carrigain yesterday (Wed). I was trying to identify as many summits as I could. Cannon was definitely one I couldn't see. I forgot about Galehead though. Another one I couldn't nail down was Madison. I don't know what the fourth one is.
BTW, was that you that I passed on the way down? Sorry I didn't stop and chat but I had just finished a rest stop and wanted to keep going. It was nice to almost meet you......

Jasonst - the shirt is great, thanks!

Glenn, it just might end up that I finish on the big pile of rocks, too! I'm not a big fan of all the #@$% on top of it which is why I've been avoiding it. Dave D and I plan to hike Carter Dome & Mt Hight on 7/10 if you're interested in joining...

I'm at MLS next week which has sucked up my limited "away from family" time for the month of June. Hopefully I can further reduce my list in July and August and maybe finish it this fall!

Buddy, I will hold off on identifying the other NH 4s that cannot be seen from Carrigain until a few more have contributed ideas to the thread. I got a late start on Wednesday, so of course got caught by the rain on my way down. But, the breeze on top was nice for keeping the mosquitoes away for a few minutes.

Yes, the mosquitoes were pretty bad down low weren't they? I got to try out a new piece of gear though, I bought one of those wide brim hats with the head net hanging down. For only $15, it worked pretty good. I didn't care how fashionable it was (or wasn't), it kept them little buggers away from my face which drives me crazy!

Camper58 said:
Dr. Dasypodidae - I was on Carrigain yesterday (Wed). I was trying to identify as many summits as I could. Cannon was definitely one I couldn't see. I forgot about Galehead though. Another one I couldn't nail down was Madison. I don't know what the fourth one is.
BTW, was that you that I passed on the way down? Sorry I didn't stop and chat but I had just finished a rest stop and wanted to keep going. It was nice to almost meet you......

I am guessing that the 4th might be Moriah?

Thanks for all the great replies. I love this forum for the mutual support from all you like-minded hikers. (I know that's obvious, but deserves a mention.) I have a plan for Cabot and Waumbek for the second week in July, then Carrigain tentatively for July 23 or 24!! :D