Zealand River whack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
Last summer I spent a day exploring around the Sugarloafs near Zealand. It was a nice hot day and I spent a couple hours wading up and down the Zealand River. I had the idea of returning this summer on a hot sunny day and following the river upstream as far as I can.

I'm curious if any VFTTers have ever tried this and would like to share their experiences? I'm hoping I can at least get to the base of the falls/cascades near the hut...

I walk and fish the Zealand every year. At one time or another, I pretty much have walked the river from where it crosses Zealand Road (about where the pavement ends) up to the Zealand parking area. It is pretty easy walking for the most part, except right before the parking area where there is a steep section/waterfall. My plan this year is to fish it from that point upstream. My guess is that it remains mostly freestone and gravel until you get near the meadows, where the Zealand Trail crosses the river. From there on I think there are some beaver impoundments, which may be deeper and unstable.

With a light fly rod it is great fun. A lot of (mostly small) brookies and even some salmon.