Franconia Ridge Traverse 10/02/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bake-off? I don't know ... I can't see myself successfully carrying an apple pie in a pyrex dish up the ridge.
:eek:

I'll see what I can come up with.
:)

Apple pie, no problem, but how will you carry the ice cream for the a la mode? ;)

chinooktrail said:
Apple pie, no problem, but how will you carry the ice cream for the a la mode? ;)

Now that bug season has passed, don't put it past me to carry a chunk of dry ice...

(but I won't this weekend, because I won't have the time to head into the city and pick any up)

Wow! This is going to be a great day! Looks like we'll have plenty of goodies to eat along the way. MichaelJ, if you bring the ice cream than I can bring an apple pie! Deal??

Ok, just to firm things up lets plan on meeting at Lincoln Woods parking area Sunday morning between 7:30 and 7:45. We can then carpool over to the trailhead and I'm guessing we'd be starting no later than 8:30.

Sundays' weather is looking fantastic too!! :)

-MEB

No, no ... I can't get any dry ice this time. The ice cream burden will have to be upon someone else.

However, I did find my grandmother's apple square recipe. I will *try* to squeeze in time to make them. If I can't, you'll be stuck with day-old Krispy Kreme donuts...
:D

I am interested in joining you all as well. I did the traverse several weekends ago when a cold front came in and EVERYTHING was fogged in, so I would really like to see the views this time :). It looks as if MichaelJ and I will be doing Hale on Saturday and then proceeding to Lincoln Woods Sunday morning to meet up. I will either bake, as well, or pay to have someone else do it for me :p!!!!!
Looking forward to meeting all of you.

I'm back from a long weekend in NJ and OR for two weddings...Portland, OR has to be just about one of the most beautiful cities ever...I saw Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, and of course the Columbia River Gorge and Willamette River...but I digress!

I'm in for Sunday's hike as well, though still figuring out how I am getting there. Is anyone driving up from the Boston area EARLY Sunday morning that is interested in carpooling?

-katie

Eric (Tuco) and his brother-in-law and I will be heading up Falling Waters around 8am. Just a short loop (Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette). Since we'll be coming from the opposite direction, we should see all of you somewhere along the ridge (hopefully).

Is everyone still meeting for food/beers afterward? If so, where? Woodstock Inn??

I am doing something sat as well - not sure what yet - where are folks staying?? (if anywhere) (local site - hotel, driving up that am, etc..) I would like to join up - if at all possible. the enite weekend looks great - looking to get a good hike in sat if anyone has suggestions.

bringing fancy deserts is new to me - but it sounds great - I will try and figure somehting out - though it probably won't be creative!! you might just get a candybar

beer/food after - I am usually good to go for this - but will have see the time we get done. I think the 10 hour book time is in the other direction with more uphill - my guess it will be less than 10 hours - but could be wrong.

looking forward to meeting you all!!

Last edited:
This sure sounds like it will be a great hike! I've been thinking about it since the thread started.

Last year, when I first started getting into hiking, I did all the summits and most of the trails around Franconia Notch, a piece at a time, usually going northbound when on Franconia Ridge. So to do it the ridge in the opposite direction, including finally hitting the col between Little Haystack and Liberty, would be pretty sweet. This year I've added 12 more peaks to my lists but have spent very little time in Franconia. Last two weekends I did Garfield/Galehead with Clown and the Twins on a leisurely solo hike. Seeing the Franconia and Garfield Ridges from North Twin was mind-blowing. So this would be a great time to do the traverse for me. Plus it would be fun to share the trip with a bunch of VFTTers! I haven't been on any hikes with more than one other person, so I guess this would be a great chance to see what I think of group hiking.

bunchberry said:
I'm in for Sunday's hike as well, though still figuring out how I am getting there. Is anyone driving up from the Boston area EARLY Sunday morning that is interested in carpooling?

-katie

If you're still looking for a ride, PM me, Newton's not far from here. I aim to leave Boston by 5am to get to Lincoln Woods by 7:30. I've got room for two more... Clown and jessbee can vouch for my driving skills :D

I'm interested! Sounds like a great hike. I am new to VFTT, and would love to meet you all. I live in Boston, and I'd need a ride up early Sunday, too.

Okay, we have to reroute this hike to go past some swimming holes.

Just kidding - welcome to VFTT! It looks like Sunday's going to be an amazing hike.

MEB - I won't have apple squares, only cookies. I forgot that Thursday is Ed Viesturs so I won't have time.

Carpoolers - don't forget that we need to end up with at least a few empty seats at Lincoln Woods to get everyone over to Skookumchuck.

Last edited:
Great! :) Glad to hear you can make it!

Looks like we're going to have a pretty big group for this trip, 13 if everyone shows up, so we may want to think about splitting up into two smaller groups. We can work this out though on Sunday!

See ya all then!!

-MEB

I think we'll probably fan out pretty well once we get going, being all hikers of *very* different paces. 13's pushing it but it's not a wilderness area so as long as we don't act like a baseball-in-October crazy mob (including when leaving our cars at Lincoln Woods) I wouldn't worry about it.

If we have enough cars, however, we may want to consider leaving one at the Falling Waters trailhead, should anyone need to bail out mid-hike.

I know whose little sister will take off at the head of the pack with the speedy hikers :)

MichaelJ said:
If we have enough cars, however, we may want to consider leaving one at the Falling Waters trailhead, should anyone need to bail out mid-hike.

IF anyone needs to bail at FW, I'll have a car there and will be happy to help. Since we are only doing the FW-OBP loop, the timing should work out OK. We will likely see you all on the ridge somewhere.

IF anyone decides to head down FW, and you beat us back to the parking lot, look for a gray Subaru Forester with NJ plates.

Rob

giggy said:
I am doing something sat as well - not sure what yet - where are folks staying?? (if anywhere) (local site - hotel, driving up that am, etc..) I would like to join up - if at all possible. the enite weekend looks great - looking to get a good hike in sat if anyone has suggestions.

bringing fancy deserts is new to me - but it sounds great - I will try and figure somehting out - though it probably won't be creative!! you might just get a candybar

beer/food after - I am usually good to go for this - but will have see the time we get done. I think the 10 hour book time is in the other direction with more uphill - my guess it will be less than 10 hours - but could be wrong.

looking forward to meeting you all!!

I don't think I can make Sunday's hike... I have to get back to Boston in the early afternoon, but I am heading up Friday night, staying at Dry River CG Friday and Saturday night. Looking to do something fairly mellow on Saturday, maybe Webster/Jackson.

I'll start a new thread for Saturday, so as not to hijack this one...

tossing the idea of heading up castle ravine and going down caps ridge on sat - only consider if someone comes and wants to carspot at caps ridge.

want to save the legs a bit for sunday.

any interest - figure i would toss it out.

On Sunday, when you get a chance..look over to Owl's Head and wave.
That will be me on #48.

I'm not sure if I'll be at the Woodstock Inn later, but it's a possibility :)