SherpaKroto Injury

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elle, how amazing it is that in the middle of all this, with taking care of Paul as you are, you still find the time and energy to "take care" of all of us by posting here about how he's doing. We REALLY appreciate it!

So you and your kids take care of yourselves, too, OK? And enjoy your Easter. Best wishes to all of you and to Sherp for a quick and energetic recovery.

Wow... so sorry to hear about the readmission. Glad to hear he's already starting to rebound.

Sherpa and family you'll be in my thoughts.

Latest Update:

I just hung up with Sherpa, his spirits are doing well even though the body is not. He expects to be in the hospital 3 more weeks and is hoping to go home on his birthday, May 9th. During this stay, the next week will be spent under observation then the final 2 weeks he will be moved into rehab.

For the next week, he can be reached at (781) 744-1320, however, please do not call after 8:00 pm. He does not know what his phone number will be once admitted into rehab.

The blood clots are causing the most pain. They start at his right knee and transcend up his leg and down the left leg to his ankle. Walking is difficult and painful. The clots are not a direct problem with his fall, but a continuation with problems he had before, only exasperated by what has happened. There still is some "focus" issues when he tries to carry on a discussion often losing track in conversation.

Long-term goals include hoping to get back to work between Labor Day and Columbus Day. That is if all goes well. He knows he will not be going back to his old job, but to another job less straining until his strength has fully recovered.

He likes to hear from us, but he will not be at a system where he can monitor, or answer VFTT posts. Call when you can.

Hey folks. When I said I was willing to help out, I certainly meant it. I've been in touch with Mrs. SK and it looks like there may be times when the family may need an extra pair of hands or wheels.

If you are interested in being available to help out, please pm me with your email address. It will be easier to coordinate via email I think.

Thanks!

Elle, I second Mad Townie's thoughts on taking the time to keep us in the loop. We really appreciate it. Very glad to hear that things are looking up a bit.

Just got off the phone with Paul. Things are pretty much as Guinness said, except I certainly did not notice any "focus" issues, same old sharp as a tack Sherp to me. The blood clots are the big thing right now. He seemed somewhat tired and commented (tho he would never say this publically himself) that it was hard to get much rest with so many (well-intentioned) phone calls, sometimes as many as 40 a day. Maybe a little peace & quiet is in order, at least for the next few days...

MrsSherpaKroto

Dear Elle,
I have not been on VFTT since late February, so I was shocked to hear of SherpaKroto's accident and all that has happened to him. Lahey Clinic is a very good place, and I hope that he recovers quickly from this latest setback.

Wishing the best for him and you and your family as he continues his comeback from his freak accident! Wow, one never knows what life has in store for us. It sounds as if you are all very strong, and that will help a lot as he continues his road to recovery!

Ginger

Ginger

Elle, please tell Sherpa that the newbi from Long Island just got his Baxter reservations today for August!....Paul helped me for weeks getting ready for the winter gathering in NH and made me feel very comfortable (except while we were watching the Patriots game)...hope he's getting better quickly..David

Still at Lahey

Finally feeling good enough for a note.
On complete bed rest since I got back here on 4/12. Was to have gotten into a chair to sit for a few minutes, but blood levels were not good - clot(s) not dissolving fast enough. May attempt again at 8:00pm.
Depressing to have recovery taking so long. It's been 33 days since the accident. Most have been on bed rest (29), so it will take some time to rebuild my stamina. Of course, I have Angels for that :p .
I hope to be going back to rehab by Monday or Tuesday. (same one as before), but will have no internet access then. Also: Elle is heading to Reno tomorrow for a few days. She wanted to go someplace calmer and quieter :D (actually something planned long ago)

ribs, clavicle temporal lobe, lungs: good
vision, facial droop, hearing, clots: various stages of not so good... but at least I can finally raise one eyebrow to do a Belishi impression! :rolleyes:

I really appreciate all the good vibes being sent my way. Very humbling.

Great that you feel up to reading some good vibes & seeing how much we miss you here & of course on the trails.

Glad some of the injuries are healing, you're at the right place for them to monitor the clots.

Are you sure that facial droop is accident related? You're not getting any younger & neither are those better looking guys you hike with either. (Although none of them ever had Angels in their avatars,)

Keep getting a little better every day.

Love
MAP

Good to hear from you, Sherpa! Keep the healing and positive thoughts going, and imagine all the jokes someday about how you "ended up in rehab, twice!"
:)

Just seeing a post from you is a huge leap forward, I hope it's all improvement from here.

Great to hear from you SherpaK!!!! We wonder how long it will take you to read through all the postings on this thread - so many have expressed there thoughts and well wishes for you.

Clearly you one one of the most popular members of VFTT and held in high regards by most everyone. I think this thread on your injury may have set a new record for the highest viewed thread - we all are thinking about you! We are all cheering you on as you continue on the road to recovery.

Sherp: Let me join the chorus of well-wishers. Your tappin' into VFTT is a great sign! Hang tough, buddy...

daxs, thanks for the generous offer, but I am just hoping to get up to Maine for some long restful stretches.

Still in bed. blood levels are not where they need to be. Clots are significant, and will require thinners for a year or more. Skiing (and similar activities) are banned for at least a year.

Lying here, I realize how much has changed: I lie waiting for a nurse to get me OUT of bed! :eek: :eek:

get well soon

SherpaKroto said:
I lie waiting for a nurse to get me OUT of bed! :eek: :eek:
kroto!!!
your still alive!!! 2 postings in as many days.
hope it's a pretty female nurse tending to all your needs. i'd be "twitchin'" (as bruno would say) if it was some guy with a smile on his face :eek: ;)