Winter Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HIATIS said:
Hopefully no rain for the weekend.
Maddie -This is a Gathering!!! Come on, get real!!

Thought I'd share this:
Thursday and Thursday Night
Mostly clear. Highs in the lower 30s. Lows in the lower 20s.
Friday
Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 40s.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain until midnight... then a chance of freezing rain...snow and sleet after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.
Saturday and Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of freezing rain...snow and sleet. Highs in the upper 20s. Lows 15 to 20. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of freezing rain...snow and sleet. Highs in the mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

I'm planning on coming over on Thursday after leaving work a bit early -- Friday open for plans - anyone??

David Metsky said:
I can't get there until Friday night, or Saturday day at this point. It'll depend on work and weather. I'd rather ski, and I have a few free tickets, but I'm finding it hard to get psyched at this point. :(
We can hope that the freezing rain etc will be snow higher up. (need an emoticon for crossed fingers).

Doug

UFCM, is there room in the inn? Camping in a muddy field with freezing rain is, um, sub-optimal.

-dave-

bubba....I'm coming up Thurs with Funkyfreddy....I might try the easy approach on Abraham but I'm going to make a nice full day out of it so not to aggrivate(sp?) my knee...last time we got fogged out on Camel's hump and mansfield...

David Metsky said:
UFCM, is there room in the inn? Camping in a muddy field with freezing rain is, um, sub-optimal. -dave-
Where's your sense of adventure?! :confused:

If you are referring to my house, there should be room enough. Also, I AM backed up to a state forest, I'm sure you can find some spots that aren't "too" muddy up there!

UFC,

If the weather patterns hold for some rain for the early part of the weekend.....Is there a laundromat in the area to at least dry some hiking clothes if that is an issue???(as an option) Do not want to overwhelm the UFC facilities.

spongebob said:
UFC,

If the weather patterns hold for some rain for the early part of the weekend.....Is there a laundromat in the area to at least dry some hiking clothes if that is an issue???(as an option) Do not want to overwhelm the UFC facilities.

there's 2 in Ludlow. one near the gazebo in the middle of town, one in the plaza near Shaw's

Well, I had first planned to ski Killington on Friday, or maybe Ascutney, but paying for it in these conditions? Noooo! So, I'm thinking of hiking Ascutney. Any takers? Bubba?

Little Bear, are you there? We can pick you up at 8-8:15 am in Concord. That ought to put us at the mountain by 10 or so.

The Weathersfield Trail on the SSW side is closest to UFC's house and sounds like it has some good lookouts along the way.

Ludlow s.

Ludlow Mt s peak is right around the bend From UNC house .Hardly anyone goes up thar accordin' to the jar.It is a nice open wack,quite easily accessed.

audrey said:
Well, I had first planned to ski Killington on Friday, or maybe Ascutney, but paying for it in these conditions? Noooo! So, I'm thinking of hiking Ascutney. Any takers? Bubba?
Hillwalker and I have worked out the details of our plans. Trail work on Thurs and ski Ascutney on Fri (snow conditions permitting).

I'll be Telemarking and wearing a dark blue daypack, most likely on green and blue trails. Anyone is welcome to join me.

Doug

I'd still like to ski, since I have a pass (!) for Killington & Pico. I'll have my fingers crossed for a least one partial day with good conditions!

I'll play it by ear for tagging along on a hike, too.

audrey said:
So, I'm thinking of hiking Ascutney. Any takers? Bubba?

The Weathersfield Trail on the SSW side is closest to UFC's house and sounds like it has some good lookouts along the way.
If we don't have to hike up ski trails, this could be okay. Can I pack a board and ride down?? I need some practice doing this!! What kind of gear is needed?

Audrey/MichaelJ - Killington reports 70 trails open with an average base of 16-24 inches!?! After Whiteface this past w/end I find that a bit hard to believe, but the pictures from 1/07 seem to bear it out - no brown spots showing and forcast for snowmaking weather. I have a voucher... but I don't want to ride or ski through snowmaking machines blasting me in the face :(

Michael are you going to be around on Friday??

MarkJ....that hike might be exactly the only thing I can do, due to sore knee....the PT told me tonight that I should relax and take it easy...can u give more info....couldn't google it..

I might also try to take a chair lift up somewhere and walk around if there are any places that will let me do that..I'll pay if I have to....anyone know of any places nearby?

The snow guns were blasting like mad on Sunday, but I don't know what happened that night into Monday (as Monday morning I drove through rain and slush up there). I'm sure those guns will be roaring all week, but they can't run them all at the same time; last time I skied there, it was easy to get away from the guns and take some sweet runs. They just had to be morning, not evening.

The other option to Killington is Pico. Small but said to be wonderful, and your lift ticket from K works at P, and vice/versa.

Unfortunately, I won't be around Friday; I'd have to take a vacation day from work, and I'd rather save those for a powder day!

una_dogger said:
Just want to mention that I heard at work today that despite the limited runs, Killington is still charging full price for lift tickets ($75/day).
Absolutely -- there and everywhere else!! White gold if they have it!!

I wasn't really thinking this through... skiing on Saturday would be fine in that a voucher is for a day of skiing - whenever!! Everything I have heard about Pico is great, but K may have made more snow. Pico reports:

Bonanza Double - Open
Golden Express Quad - Open
Little Pico Triple - Closed
Outpost Double - Closed
Summit Express Quad - Open
Knomes Knoll Triple - Closed

The trails that were listed open were all Green and Blue. That works for you, MJ and it's fine with me if I board.

I'm bagging any hopes of any B/C snow to tour on, so downhill is fine. That keeps Friday free to hike... Audrey...??

Steve'r - what about a place to situate on Friday night for grub?? This keeps getting passed by in the discussion. Decent food, happy-faced owners and enough table space to allow us to gather round. Ideas??? (ed: must serve alcohol to hiker types)

Last edited:
bubba said:
Steve'r - what about a place to situate on Friday night for grub?? This keeps getting passed by in the discussion. Decent food, happy-faced owners and enough table space to allow us to gather round. Ideas???

Since I'm only in for the evening parts, I'm interested in eating out on friday as well. Steve'r; what about the Mexican Joint in Ludlow?? Big enough?? Looks tasty! :)

una_dogger said:
... Steve'r; what about the Mexican Joint in Ludlow?? Big enough?? Looks tasty! :)

If its that place south of town (Pablos? who know) its great... stopped there this summer on the way from the 'dacks to Brattleboro & was totally impressed by it. Has some outrageous smoked maple syrup on their desserts...

amf