Woman Says She Punched Bear in the Nose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
DULUTH, Minn. - A 50-year-old Holyoke woman said she punched a black bear in the nose as it attacked her, but the bear didn't flinch.

"It was totally ineffective," Mary Munn said of her attempts to fend off the bear during Friday's attack. The ordeal lasted less than a minute, but in that time the bear bit her in several places, as Munn's dog tried to distract the 150 to 200 pound animal.

Munn described the attack on Monday, speaking from a wheelchair in a conference room at St. Mary's Hospital. She showed reporters the gouge in her right leg. She also had deep bites in her side and armpit.

Full story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050802...CDtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Wow! Glad to hear she's all right but even better to see that she's in such good spirits about it. It doesn't seem like it'll diminish her love for the outdoors (hopefully).

-Dr. Wu

Tom Rankin said:
DULUTH, Minn. - A 50-year-old Holyoke woman said she punched a black bear in the nose as it attacked her, but the bear didn't flinch.

"It was totally ineffective," Mary Munn said of her attempts to fend off the bear during Friday's attack.
Sounds like she didnt punch it hard enough :p In all seriousness, I'm glad shes OK. Sounds like one tough lady!
HEAD

I'm glad she is okay. With bears, I think you are supposed to stay still, but that doesn't sound like a great idea either! Running and climbing trees are both out.

Best idea with bear Encounters is to raise your arms (with sticks preferably) to make yourself look bigger and scream loudly in an attempt to scare the bear away.

I have taken this approach and won the ordeal quickly.. (actually was just a loud BOO!) and my father has used this particular technique TWICE and conquered the beast. :D

LenDawg... You could put your hat on but hope that the bear doesn't mistake it for giant Twinkies on your head!! hehe. You only play dead with Grizzly's... those things are not to be messed with! They can take down a full grown bull moose and not even ruffle their fur!

Making noise and making yourself appear larger is the approach with these fellas. And fighting the bear... say throwing something at it before it has even done anything to you... is asking for a confrontation. The bear will come at you if it feels it has reason to. And especially if it is a mama with baby! But I think many of these things go without saying...For us anyway. :D

LenDawg said:
I'm glad she is okay. With bears, I think you are supposed to stay still, but that doesn't sound like a great idea either! Running and climbing trees are both out.

I thought running "downhill" was one way? Supposedly since they (bears) are so front loaded heavy when they run downhill they "trip".....personally I dont ever want to try any of these techniques....but knowing them is ok..

:)

M

Sherpette said:
Making noise and making yourself appear larger is the approach with these fellas. And fighting the bear... say throwing something at it before it has even done anything to you... is asking for a confrontation. The bear will come at you if it feels it has reason to. And especially if it is a mama with baby!
The general advice for black bears is to fight back if they attack you--they will usually back off. If a black bear stalks you, it is likely to be viewing you as food. Not a time to passively sit there and be eaten...

But of course, there have been exceptions in practice...

One exception event (Remembering from quite a while back--I hope I have the details correct. Perhaps from Herrero):
* Colorado Springs area
* Hiker comes upon moma and cubs
* Moma attacks
* Hiker fights back, attack continues
* Hiker plays dead, attack stops
* Hiker waits a while and then tries to leave--moma attacks again
* Hiker plays dead, attack stops.
* Hiker waits longer (presumably until bears leave) and is able to leave

Analysis--when the hiker moved, moma perceived him as a threat to her cubs and attacked.

Doug

KMartman said:
I thought running "downhill" was one way? Supposedly since they (bears) are so front loaded heavy when they run downhill they "trip".....personally I dont ever want to try any of these techniques....but knowing them is ok.. :) M

I'm pretty sure this simply is not true.

Sherpette said:
The bear will come at you if it feels it has reason to. And especially if it is a mama with baby! But I think many of these things go without saying...For us anyway. :D

Actually, black bear mama's first instinct is to get her cubs up a tree.

Grizzly bear females do become aggressive.

This is what I've read, and thankfully not based on first hand experience!

running downhill

Tom Rankin said:
I'm pretty sure this simply is not true.

You are right. It is certainly not true. "Rural" myth? Running downhill doesn't work and running on flat ground certainly doesn't work. It just triggers the chase response.

I saw a funny but very true sign in Montana way back in 1984. I still laugh when I think about it. It said, "Fastest human in the world: 28 mph. Average bear cruising speed: 30 mph. Do NOT run."

So, if Carl Lewis on drugs can not outrun a bear, I don't think any of us can.

Act as big as you can and make noise is what works for black bears. Arms up, with poles out stretched, and yelling got me through two bluff charges by a black bear in Maine. He/she was pissed (I surprised it) and the second charge came within 25'. One key factor is to not look the bear in the eyes. Stare at the ground. Looking them in the eyes can be perceived as a challenge. Standing my ground and not running when the bear charged me was very hard. I guess I'm glad that sign sticks in my head.

- darren

Bears

There have been many reports of bear incidents this last month ALL over the country too.
Any guesses why?
Because WE are in THIER yards. That is why. :eek:
Same thing for sharks and swimmers, hey its summer and people are out everywhere.

Facts about bears:
Black bears can climb trees, better than you
Grizzly bears don't climb trees
All bears want food
All bears can out run you
Female Bears with cubs are the most dangerous scenario
All bears can't see that well
All bears have the best smell of nearly any animal on earth!

A recent article appeared in this months Backpacker Magazine asking a poll for grizzly bear control in Yellowstone, where the creatures have gained a solid population foothold once again.
This had been the result of a long effort by US Fish & Wildlife Management through reestablishing the population by transportation of animals back into the park.
Some 600 plus estimated now exist in Yellowstone according to USFW.

Now the population is moving outside the park boundaries and into rural communities and causing serious problems. The bears are still under Endangered Species protection, therefore not allowed to hunt or harm.
No surprise the magazine poll was heavily swung in the favor for bear protection by environmental activists groups and most Backpacker’s magazine readers.
But the US Fish & Wildlife Management strongly urged the removal of the grizzly from the Endangered list so that hunters can control the over population outside the park.
National Parks will continue to harbor and protect the bears as well as all animals.
But the population may reach dangerous levels for visitors and backpackers!

Just another example of man trying to control nature and challenges in a modern world. :confused:

Jeff