Camel's Hump and Mansfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drweo

Reaction score
I've noticed that lots of the winter trail descriptions of these two mts. are mostly hikes from the east side of both mts. Are the west sides not good winter routes? (For Camel's hump, the Burrows Trail and for Mansfield, Sunset Ridge)??

I can speak for Sunset Ridge on Mt Mansfield -- you can definitely hike it in winter, but you also have to ski or walk three miles up to the trailhead. The road to the trailhead is not plowed. We went up Sunset Ridge and down Laura Cowles, which made for a nice hike. You don't want to be up on Sunset Ridge in storm, obviously. The road back to the parking area slopes down enough that it's a nice glide back to the car.

- Ivy

My favorite winter route on Mansfield is to go up the maple ridge trail (at one end of the mountain) , do the whole ridge, summit, and then down the sunset ridge trail...
it can be very exposed... but very much fun...

If we had any snowpack, or if you can wait until we get one, you could b-c ski and hike up Sunset ridge on Mansfield, then use b-c skis to follow the ridge south to the Tear Drop Trail, which is a classic route back down to the trailhead (the skis also would make the road up from the gate less tedious).

Because folks live fairly high up, I believe that the road to the trailhead for the Burrows Trail is plowed and sanded all winter, which probably makes it the most popular route on Camels, summer or winter.

It has been several years since I have been down there in the winter on snowshoes, but I would be shocked if the forest city and burrows trails on camels hump were not well packed almost all the time. Camels hump is a very well loved mountain.

I find the slog up the road on Mansfield to underhill state park to be tiring (particularly when not on skiis). We used to be able to park much higher up in the winter. If Sunset ridge is too exposed (I haven't done it in winter) you could always go up or down Laura Cowles, since except for the steep top, you drop into the woods quickly. Louis' traverse of the whole mountain would be a very nice, challenging hike. Maple ridge has some steep sections too.

Easier access in the winter, although much farther from the Chin, is to park in Stevensville and go up to Butler then to wampahoofus to the ridge (you still have to do the steep stuff at the top of maple ridge though that way).

Camels Hump - in my experience, in winter the Monroe Trail and the Burrows Trail get about equal use. I think it may depend upon which side of the mountain you live on.

Mt Mansfield - to approach this peak from the Stowe side means parking at the highway barrier and hoofing it up the road about 1/2 mile. This is a busy place, especially in a cold year, since there's some good ice climbing a bit further up in Smuggler's Notch. However, following the Long Trail to the top of Mansfield on this side can be difficult since the trail is often obliterated by downhill skiers and boarders from the ski area on the left. It can also be dangerous, as boarders sometimes use one section of the trail as a half-pipe, and there's very little time for either of you to react. Consequently, I gave up hiking on this side several ago, and now usually use Sunset Ridge. Or, as Louis points out, go up via Maple Ridge and down via Sunset - it's a great loop.

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for that information. It's quite helpful. I hope to get up there in a few weeks time to try to climb one or both of Camel's Hump and Mansfield. I will post my hike(s) on "Trail Conditions" afterwards. And yes, wouldnt it be nice if there were a snow pack this year??

hello,
if you want, post on the 'upcoming hikes', so we can maybe join you

have fun

Reverse the Route

When I did Mansfield late last winter I went up Laura Cowles and down Sunset Ridge. I think the advantage to this route is going down you have the view of the valley continuously, instead of having to look over your shoulder. And what a view!

Was that road really three miles? Yup, [DISREGARD: it sure was boring] it sure felt long at the end of that day.

Have fun.

(Thank you to Louis for reminding me that every part of any day in the woods is great, even if it is a road walk out.)

Last edited:
boring???

come on guys ... how can it be boring... you're outside in the forest... gee...