Whiteface question and hike 3/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Hi everyone.....I'm going with the scouts on 3/3 - 3/5 to whiteface...the boys are skiing, I thought I'd go hiking up Whiteface that Sat. but I was told that the ski trail will not take me up to the summit.....since we are going up in a bus I won't have a car....how far away is the trail from the ski area? Is it a marked trail and is anyone interested in a nice easy nature hike?...get the hint :rolleyes: I'd buy hot chocolate or a drink afterwards...thx..will post this on other sites...

Realized there are many Whiteface mtn....talking ADK here..thx...sorry

Last edited:
The groomed ski trails will take you to the top of the "summit" quad (top of Upper Cloudspin)... and the ORDA trail will take you from the summit quad to the summit proper, but likely won't be broken. The ORDA trail is marked, but the discs may not be visible if the snow is deep.

Thx, i did a search on the subject and i apologize for not remembering the conversation a few weeks ago....The scouts changed their location again last week to whiteface....if nobody is going, i'll just take an easy hike somewhere..thx

Hey Dave, I may be up that weekend with my daughter depending on weather. I'd like to make a decision late in the week, hoping for clear days and views. A nice snowshoe day hike into Lake Colden and back to the Loj is a great trip and not very grueling. Maybe this trip one day and Whiteface the other?

Hi Tony, guess your now working on your ADK winters :rolleyes:

Would be cool to hang out again...Let me know as it gets closer...I'm stuck up there without a car...I'm supposed to be chaperoning (sp) the scouts but I am allowed some time for myself....

Sounds good Dave. I don't get up to the ADKS like I used to, so I pray for good weather. I don't know if you can drive part way up the W.F.mem.highway and then hit the trail, then up Esther and then back to the trail for Whiteface? Does anyone know if this route would be doable?

Dave, you have a couple of options in the area. There are two "proper" trails up to Whiteface -- one is the Wilmington Trail (obviously coming out of Wilmington, NY) and the other is on the opposite side coming up from Lake Placid (the Lake not the town) -- called the Whiteface Trail from Whiteface Landing. The first trail can be shortened by starting up Marble Mountain, but these are on the far "other side" from where you will be.

There is a trail that comes up next to Lake Placid heading up to Whiteface Landing. The fun part of this approach is that you can paddle into the trailhead and go from there in the summer (maybe this winter...??). However, there is plenty else to do rather than bagging a peak if you can deal with that. One recommendation would be to take the Connery Pond Trail into the Pond or further past up the Truck Trail. This is just down the road from the Ski Center and the bus could certainly let you off on the way to the area. If you are done early, I'm sure you can hitch a ride down to the area. Most traffic is going there anyway. Also, I believe that there is a shuttle running out to the mountain, so you may be able to make arrangements or find out what they will do to accomodate your wishes. (The shuttle runs between the mtn and town.)

Connery Pond Trail (highly recommended snowshoe or X/C ski):

Head out toward Whiteface on Rt. 86. A couple of miles from town, you will see the trailhead on the left. If you cross a bridge, then you have gone 100 yards too far. Any driver should know where it is.

Look HERE for a topo of the area.

For the record, the other "non-proper" options for Whiteface are the ski slopes mentioned by WalksWith above... or the slides :eek: or hiking up the Whiteface Mountain Highway that comes up from the otherside of Wilmington.

The hike that Tony is suggesting is a classic, but you will be out in another direction from your group.

Thx bubba, I'm reading the High Peaks Region book and it tells about the trails...I don't have to hit a high peak, I just thought that if i was there why not try it...still a long way from now...thx for your help, very thoughtful....now i'm thinking about how to stuff my winter bag into my backpack...will ask the members..

coldfeet said:
...I'm stuck up there without a car...I
Can you get a bicycle up there? It isn't THAT far to the trailhead. Go up the ARC way, carrying skis. Hit Esther, then Whiteface, and SKI down, meeting the Scouts along the way.

coldfeet said:
...I'm supposed to be chaperoning (sp) the scoutsf....
OMG. Hope you set a good example.... Are you taking them to the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery?

Bubba and Walkwithblackflies, can you supply more info, Rockysummit and I are meeting up near there....should i pm you for info...

I have an ADK map, looks like if we wanted to hit Ester it's a bushwack off the trail ....

Where should we park, off Memorial HWY...

anything you could offer would be appreciated..thx..

cxling trip

We're bailing out on this trip, doing a shorter and more exciting hike...Wright..thx for help....ps...looking at the map....about how much longer would it take to add Algonquin to this trip?