Warning: stream crossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
There may be some, not familiar with this. In order for the ice to support you, it must have water underneath, not be suspended over air.

This kind of warm, followed by very cold tends to produce many sections of ice above the water. Durning the warmer period, the stream is higher, and as it gets colder two things happen. Open areas freeze, and the water level drops.

Tapping the ice before you stand on it will let you hear if it is 'hollow' or not.

This weekend will be very good for producing such conditions.

Very true. It only takes an inch or so of ice to support you over water, but once the ice is "bridging" over air you need a lot more support.

An interesting book that I just finished mentions this, and a whole lot more: Ice : The Nature, the History, and the Uses of an Astonishing Substance by Mariana Gosnell. I recommend it.

True--As one of the members on a hike recently found out. :eek: Lots of hollow ice this year.
hancock4.jpg

Indian Pass Brook

See my 2/18 condition report for Street and Nye. It was safe but not strong. I studied the crossing area carefully, and took a route avoiding the bridged ice. I also felt safer on snowshoes for weight distribution. Water is not deep there but getting wet would have ended the hike in below zero F. temperatures. Another group signed-in for these peaks but chose not to cross the brook (I saw crampon and Yaktrak prints--glad they did not ruin the nice path! :)