Eastern approach to East Dix?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Molloy

Reaction score
A women's hiking club is looking for an Eastern approach to East Dix (Grace). I've never done it, but I think I remember some accounts of a herd path. Adirondack Jouneys was my old, best source...it seems to be down now. The guide book is unhelpful. Anyone know about this hike? Thanks.

Sean Molloy

Perhaps what you were looking for, "accounts of a herd path", were the ones described in Barbara McMartins Discover the Northeastern Adirondacks book published by Backcountry Publications of Woodstock Vt. There is a chapter in there titled, "Under The Northway", it details the Walker Brook, West Mill Brook and Lindsay Brook approaches to the Dix Mt Wilderness.

Lindsay Brook near Sharp Bridge Campground ( DEC ) appears to be the most likely route you are looking for. It would avoid a climb of the ridge between the Northway (I-87) and the Dix Range. On McMartin's map the Lindsay Brook route leads North west into the area north of Wyman Mt to where an approach to East Dix could be made. I have not been on this route so I cannot offer any info on the conditions in there.

The West Mill Brook approach is between Lindsay and Walker in a north-south line. It appears to head toward the drainage of MaComb or Carson. It crosses the col between Buck and Old Far mountains. I have used this route to climb those two mts plus Jug Mt but have not crossed over the ridge. It appears this would place you in the Macomb/Carson drainage and well north of Grace Peak ( East Dix )

The Walker Brook approach leads to mountains I have been on, Niagara, Camels Hump and Nippletop, ( not the high peak ) they are nice summits with many herd paths. Crossing this part of the ridge would bring you closer to Macomb.

The McMartin Discover series is still in print and most Libraries from Albany north have them. You can likely get one from inter library loan to see if it is what you are looking for. Good luck.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I look stupid here but when you say "eastern approach" do you mean FROM the east, as in going east to west, as in from the drainage between Wyman and Grace, (heading NW, as in FROM the SE)?

BTW can you name a Bass Player by the name of Wyman?

West Mill Brook

Last saturday I was part of an ADK group of nine who hiked into Maccomb, S.Dix and E. Dix via the West Mill Brook. Although we descended E. Dix there still may be a clear footpath which splits off to the north from our common path at about 2600 ft elevation which will lead to the summit.

There is access from WMB via an old road for the first two or so miles before the stream separates into three distinct drainages. By contouring toward the northeast one can avoid any real up and over and down spots. The route we took was clearly a bushwhack from the two mile mark on and there are areas of blowdown and a pretty steep icy area which we descended with snowshoes and without the use of an ice axe. It was just to the west side of the southern drainage from the peak of E.dix. In reverse direction there might be benefit in using crampons for the ascent of the drainage and the steep area to its left but aggressive snowshoes might handle it. One can shoot directly for the col between East and South Dix - once this col is gained it is less than 10 minutes to the summit of East Dix.

If going directly to East Dix it may be more direct to leave the old road a bit sooner and stay in the main WMB drainage or follow the northern fork instead of going somewhat more toward the South but lingering on the easily traversed road. Good map and compass skills are essential for this hike (a mapping GPS wouldn't hurt either).

The hike starts at a culvert under the Northway just above the High Peaks Rest area. Turn right under the culvert or you will go into private property and be going the wrong way. There is blowdown obscuring the correct road but once you pass it you will continue on a road (and pass 2-3 more blowdowns) until you reach a gate and the start of the old road.