Couch and Panther 3/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamdog

Reaction score
Ward and I got off to a pretty good start, leaving Speculator at 4:10AM. After the typical screwing around with gear, we left the U/W trailhead at 6:00. Although the goal was all three of the "Santa Range", the requirement was simply a great day in the woods. We got to Times Square at 9:45, same time as our (unsuccessful) trip of a couple weeks ago. Conditions all trip had been great, minimal ice, light snow in the air. Off to Couch we went. Hit a few false paths (as we did a few weeks ago) but continued to eventually summit Couch. We were greeted to very limited views at best. Onward. Back to Times Square. Let me be the 2,137th person over 6' tall to say that trip sucks in the winter. I left DNA on no less than 17 trees over and back. We ran into some nice folks including one who found my headlamp assembly that the tree mosters had taken from my pack (many thanks), as well as one fellow who asked if we posted on "Views"!!

Back to hiking... we could see a fair view of Panther and decided to head over. Caught a couple limited views but a ton of wind. Pretty impressive. We decided to bag Santanoni, and leave it for another walk in the park. Headed back to T/S and down the trail towards Bradley Pond/trail intersection. Took the leisurely stroll back to the trailhead enjoying a great day in the woods. Got back to the car at 5:00PM and headed back to camp. "Dory" and sister Amy met us at camp on their way to the "Peggy O'Brien" hiking trip and enjoyed a "legal bevarage" and tour of truly one of the Adirondacks "Great Camps". After a nice breakfast Sunday morning, we sent the ambitious climbers on their way, only to greet Tee Jay at the front door of camp...... Another great weekend wandering through the park. While some might say it was better than a sharp stick in the eye, those who climb know Couch is exactly that. L

slamdog said:
"Dory" and sister Amy met us at camp on their way to the "Peggy O'Brien" hiking trip and enjoyed a "legal bevarage" and tour of truly one of the Adirondacks "Great Camps". After a nice breakfast Sunday morning, we sent the ambitious climbers on their way, only to greet Tee Jay at the front door of camp...... L

That would be the Speculator camp... truly one of the ADK's Great Camps... considering those who occupy and visit as the criteria, no doubt!"

Someday, I want you to go to the Sananonni's and bag all three. How many times you be back there anyway??? ;)

Sounds like a fun day in a special place. I imagine the trip to Couchy is a bit stabbing. I'll have to remember that!

Can you describe the trail surface condition on Saturday? Planning on heading up on 3/25 and would appreciate any feedback.

No problems

bridgeman said:
Can you describe the trail surface condition on Saturday? Planning on heading up on 3/25 and would appreciate any feedback.

Trails were fine. Light dusting of snow, very minimal ice. No need for crampons. Someone had barebooted up to Times Square! But conditions were great, no problems at all. Enjoy! L

thanks for the input slamdog.
I will be hitting the trail late (7:30 ish) if anyone else is interested in making this trek. Arrival time and weather conditions at times square will determine the itinerary for the day.

Slam,
Glad to read the detail on your trip. It was sure a pleasure to finally meet you in person! We'll look forward to seeing you both again...maybe we can do the Santas with you!
Dory