Glacier National Park Hiking ideas???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
We are heading out to Glacier National Park in July and was wondering if anyone could give us ideas for the best hikes. Including a couple backcountry hikes for 2-3 days?? We want some of the more challenging ones and we'll mix in a few day hikes to key spots also. Campground ideas are needed also. We have the first few days covered for cabins/camping but am wondering what areas we should make sure to cover? It all looks so great!

I'm sorry I have no info to share. I just wanted to say PLEASE post your pictures and trip report when you get back. Glacier is on my wish list. Have a great time. I'm jealous. :)

The April 2006 "Backpacker" magazine's cover story is on Glacier.
P.M. me here your address if you want, I'll send it to you. It looks like a helpful article re. trails and such.

I remember some previous threads with a lot of Glacier info ... I would try a search and update if you have more specific questions.

Thanks

I subscribe to backpacker & have read up on that, it was informative. I've looked on the search and have found some older forums. Backpacker is showing it as #1 scenic area for hiking.... can't wait. My camera will be getting quite a workout, for those that know me I have the camera ready most of the time with my little tripod :)

If anyone has info please add it to the forum, we're submitting for permits and making plans that will keep us busy. I'll be posting pics when I get back.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

I've been to Glacier NP, and it lives up to it's reputation/motto as the "Crown Jewell of the Continent". I'm mostly a dayhiker, so can't give you specifics on 2-3 day hikes. But, Google "best hikes in Glacier" and you'll get lots of leads.

It's been a big snow year in the West, so probably a good idea to call the Park a couple of weeks ahead of time to get the latest conditions in case that impacts on your plans. Also check on the bear activity - usually they're active more in September than July, but just in case. Glacier is one of the few NP's with grizz, so becoming bear-smart is also a good idea.

The scenery in Glacier is simply eye-popping. The only thing I've seen which begins to compare is Yosemite Valley, only on a smaller scale. Even the old-style tour buses are a plus - makes you feel like you've stepped back in time. Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks for all the info & links

Well so far we are staying at Mountain MeadowsCampground the 1st few nights, cabin, tent, tent then have a 2 day Whitewater raft trip booked. We are trying for our permit for a hike up in Many Glacier area. Poia Lake -1st night, Elizabeth Lake-2nd night then up over Ptarmigan Tunnel and out, maybe a side trip to Iceberg Lake. It has some elevation which keeps alot of the day hikers away.

We'll have a few free days for day hikes and leaving the camping open so we can move around. Two Medicine area won't be opened up for camping yet, but we are hoping to get a day hike over to Dawson-Pitamakan passes. I can tell 10 days won't be nearly enough time.

We've been to Yosemite and Banff over the last 2 years, so it sounds like Glacier will equal or match them in a larger style. I'm excited!!!

I've also read about alot of grizzley up there, Hoping to see one from afar...I'm reading up on what to do in case of an encounter though!
:D

I've been lucky enough to have been to Glacier twice, and yes, it is everything you hear and more. I personally GUARENTEE it will be the most beautiful scenery you have ever witnessed, and that is no lie!

Backpacking in July (tourist season) may very well be determined by what overnight backcounty permits are available at the time. The NPS will only allow a limited number of people at designated campsites. During peak months, they do fill up fast. With that said, you may have to keep your itinerary flexable. I'm sure anywhere you go will be awesome!

My first trip was an overnighter to Gunsight Lake from St. Mary...an awesome hike, to say the least.

My second trip was out of Two Medicine...first night at Upper Two Medicine Lake, second night at Cobalt Lake, third night we camped at Park Creek, and night 4 back to Cobalt Lake. MUCH wildlife on this trip.

Also, while you are there...see some glaciers- it is estimated that in 20 years, there will be no more glaciers left in Glacier NP!! :eek:

Have an awesome trip!!

Last edited:
Wonderful place.

I've been to Glacier NP once for a week of dayhikes back in 1990. Glacier is a wild and wooly place. Definitely worth at least a week for day hikes, more if possible. I remember several hikes, but I'll have to look them up in my logs for trailheads, etc tonight or this weekend. The short story: the scenery is spectacular - bring alot of memory cards and batteries for your camera. It's full of interesting things to see and lots of hiking.

I did a 10 day trek through GNP 5 yrs ago. I've since done similar length trips through Rocky Mtn N.P., the Wind River Range, and Baxter. Glacier remains the single most amazing place I've had the privilege (sp?) to visit. It's an amazing, mystical place. I cried when I reached Fifty Mountain campsite. It was so beautiful, and I was sharing it with my brother and fiancee. It was perfect, in all regards. :)

We carried bear spray - you'll be asked to watch a short film about bear precautions when you pick up your permits. If possible, extend your backcountry time and bag the dayhikes......IMHO Glacier will reveal its' most amazing attributes to those who are willing to go a little further and out of the way. Hole in the Wall remains one of the most awe inspiring sites I've been to. I relocated to Golden CO a few weeks ago and am planning on getting back there this summer, but am still envious.

And remember! Brown bear scat is chock full of berries and nuts. Grizzly scat is full of bells and red with bear spray. :p Make sure you and your companions "call out" to one another w/consistency and frequency whilst trekking through the heavier brush to alert our furry friends of your presence. If you've been to Banff I'm sure you know what to do. Enjoy it. There's no way you won't.