Favorite rainy day hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
I have set a few rain or shine hiking dates over the next couple of months. In the event that it does rain, I was wondering if you fine folks could share your favorite rainy day hikes in the Northeast.

Thanks as always,
Marty

At the risk of giving a wise ass/non answer, I would say any hike is a good rainy day hike. You won't get the unlimited vista, but the hills are still beautiful on a cloudy, rainy day. In fact, you will see things that you would never see on a sunny day. That being said, I would avoid any hike that you were dying to see the view, i.e. Bondcliff, and take the advantage to check out some stream or ponds you may have overlooked.

To follow-on to what trailbiscuit said - avoid hikes that have lots of above treeline treks, like the Presis and Lincoln/Lafayette. And, avoid trails with lots of major stream crossings. Little brooks aren't such a bother, but some are major and if the brook/river rises too much then you can get stranded. The one that comes to mind immediately is doing N. Twin - two crossings can be avoided, but one can't. Another is Garfield, but these can be avoided if you know how the snow mobile road is laid out in relationship to the trail. There are several trails where high water could be factor.

Surprisingly, I've never seen high water prevent a hike to Little Haystack via Falling Waters, even after a cloudburst/height of snowmelt.

Having done the Bonds in the rain I can attest to not doing all of them in the rain. That said some shorter above treeline (or bare on top) trips can be fun in less than ideal weather, you see what it's like & cover is quick at hand. Liberty, Hale, Jackson & Pierce come to mind.

I've also done all of the peaks at least twice, some over 10 times so I might be more willing to see do Garfield (a peak with great views) in the rain because I've seen the views on more than one occasion.

IMO, some almost classic rainy day hikes:

anything with a waterfall or cascades providing you don't have to cross them.
Waumbek
Hale
Pierce (I've seen the views, if you haven't go elsewhere or plan to return)
East Osceola
Tecumseh
Passaconaway (Not Whiteface via Blueberry Ledge approach, trail becomes a brook if a lot of rain - on Same day most of Dicey's was dry)

I enjoyed hiking Zealand this past spring during a rainy day. It wasn't pouring, but it was more than a mist. The trail was beautiful! It was as if the rain somehow made everything greener. Zealand Falls were awesome! Rock hopping the Twinway trail was fun and being able to stop into Zealand Falls hut both up and back made the day relaxing. I really enjoyed the hike. I hope you enjoy yours, whatever the weather. :)

Anyone who reads my reports knows I hike in the rain far two often - if I have a day to hike, I hike - that's it!
So what do you do?
As Kevin stated you avoid high, exposed ridges and bad stream crossings. It is probably best to avoid exposed areas, but it can be a pretty wild scene to be a part of if your exposure is limited - I have come up from Lincoln Woods and we stuck our heads out onto the summit of Bondcliff for all of five minutes - but it looked out of this world - very windy, pouring, fog - the cliffs droped off into nothingness!
I also recently hit a short section of the Air Line (from the cut off to the Scar Trail in a downpour - if was exhilarating.
These were both very short sections - these are not the days for ridge traverses.
Forests and waterfalls are where I like to go in general - I did the Brookside along some beautiful falls on a pouring day - no major crossings...
Tecumseh, Waumbek, Cabot - these all come to mind...

14/48 in monsoons! :eek:

trailbiscuit said:
...I would say any hike is a good rainy day hike.
That's it. Let it rain; love it.

Of course, in the precipitation pecking order, snow rules. Is it winter yet? It was 46 degrees when I got up this morning. :D

Last edited:
Many come to mind. I prefer hiking along water or to a body of water if its raining. Everything in the woods is wet and I like the interesting photo ops it brings. Here is a brief list.

1. A pleasant walk to Zealand Hut via Zealand Trail is a nice option...not steep, easy footing and lots of the crossings have bridges. Its really beautiful in the Zealand "rain forest". Many photo ops

2. Ripley Falls, Nancy Cascades...really any waterfall, as long as its not raining too hard. I've been told that Ripley Falls are great to photograph on a not-so sunny day. Both sets of falls are beautiful in any weather.

3. Three Ponds Trail to Donkey Hill Cutoff to Mt Kineo Trail loop back to the car. Many varied things to look at, from wildflowers, to ponds, to beaver ponds, and different forests.

4. Hancock Notch Trail-If you're feeling adventurous and want to cross some streams, get a couple cars and park one at Hancock Notch Trailhead and one down at Sawyer River Trail along the Kanc and do the 10 mile loop. Its kind of tough to follow at the height of land of Hancock Notch, but once you get past that it is one of the most unique trails I have ever traveled.

5. Any trail with a profusion of moss.....the scent of a forest is different when its all wet, esp in mossy areas.

I could say every trail, but these come to mind. Now I want to hike on a rainy day!

grouseking

A nice long one would be a loop around Owl's Head Mt. to visit Thirteen Falls, a very pretty hike through the Pemi. Wilderness on a rainy day.

Happy Trails :)