Whackfest Tree - part tree (Greenville & beyond)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Whackfest Tree - Part Tree (Greenville & Beyond)

Big Spencer - 3240'

Yesterday after SBS & Little Spencer, JimC and I returned to the Indian Hill Motel to see if they would allow us to spend another night! They agreed and gave us a "spruce needle free" room. We tried our best to keep it that way, but...

Our goal for today would be to "clean up" Greenville. No, not the town, but the 3000 footers in the area. Remember, "leave no stragglers". We headed out for Big Spencer at 7:30 in the morning. It felt good to sleep in for a change!

We arrived at the trail head without incident. The bad washout we heard about on the Culvert Road had been repaired (I'm sure it was done in preparation for the 'whack-fest :D ) We followed the hiking trail to the summit of Big Spencer. It's upper part was quite steep, gaining approx 1000' in the last 7/10ths of a mile. We counted 7 ladders along this section of trail. We reached the firetower and where greeted with "in and out of the cloud" views.

The 'whack to the true summit is 3/10ths of a mile over a very thick & scrappy ridge. We dropped off the west side of the ridge and made good progress through much thinner woods. After pushing back up to the ridge we quickly found the jar. Oncoman had signed in a few days before, way to go Pierre!!

The return to the firetower was difficult as we ended up mostly following the ridge top. I can't imagine trying to follow this all the way over to SBS... my hats off to those who do.

We made it back to our cars shortly after 1:00 pm and parted company. Jim had a long drive back home & I was looking forward to a Burger & Fries (and a laundrymat!!) in Millinockett.

I'd like to thank JimC, PigPen, mhrsebago, DMS, & Nate for making 'whack-fest tree a heck of a good time.

Peak of the Ridges - 3254', The Traveler - 3550', North Traveler - 3152'

After taking care of business in Millinocket I headed up to South Branch Pond campground in Baxter State Park. I did not have a reservation but there where plenty of sites available. I really love this campground... it's location is spectacular and having it mostly to myself was unbelievable! I settled in for the night.

The next morning I hiked the Traveler Loop Trail whick took me over all three peaks. This loop, in my opinion, is one of the best in New England. It's remoteness, exposure above treeline, & lack of crowds earns it a place on anybody's must-do list. It really is that good!! - just don't tell anyone, oh-k?

I started hiking at 7:45 am and reached Peak of the Ridges at 9:45. After lazing around the summit a bit I was off to The Traveler. This involved crossing the "little Knife Edge". I reached the Traveler at 10:45 and met 3 people on it's summit. They where doing the loop from the other direction. We where able to spot Mullen Mtn and they shared their knowledge of the route to that peak with me. Continuing on, probably half the trail over to North Traveler is above treeline. A most enjoyable walk. I arrived atop North Traveler and took my sneakers off, ate gorp, and soaked up the views... Life is Good!! I arrived back at the campground at 2 pm.

PICTURES HERE

Onestep

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,

Nice report! I wish I could have joined all of you guys over the last several days. Alas, I was in BSP last weekend and was also on the Traveler loop again. This time, I bushwacked up from the top of the Howe Brook Trail and did most of the loop clockwise. I agree it is one of the best loops in NE! I think it must have a higher percentage of above-treeline travel than most 10 mile loops...

Tonight I'm headed back to the park but will likely only do Katahdin on this trip. If anyone is on the mountain, say hello...

spencer