How many peaks - 100 Mile Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pammy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many peaks there are in the 100 Mile Wilderness? Is there a website where they list the peaks and the elevations?

Thanks!
Pam

There are at least seven named peaks between Monson and Abol bridge: Barren Mtn., Fourth Mtn., Third Mtn., Chairback Mtn., Hagas, White Cap, Nesuntabunt ... did I miss any? There are also a number of lesser "peaks", it's a lot of up and down until you get to the "lakes" on the norther third of the "wilderrness". I don't know of any website where they list them but the AT Guide to Maine is your best resource.

Thanks Stan

Thanks Stan! Do you, or does anyone know the total elevation gain for the entire 100MW including the lesser peaks?

Pam

West and Hay are on the same ridge as White Cap, and both are 3k peaks!

I am considering a similar hike. I got the AMC Maine Guide, However, I found the AT Guide for MAine to be far more comprehensive. It will clearly show you the altitude changes and distances. Unfortunatley I took the maps and guide out of my brief case last week and can not answer your question.

Pammy said:
Thanks Stan! Do you, or does anyone know the total elevation gain for the entire 100MW including the lesser peaks?

Pam
According to the AT Guide to Maine, the "100" is on 3 maps, 1, 2 and 3. Map 1 includes Katahdin, so you can subtract that out if you want.

The numbers they give are

Map 1 Katahdin to the south end of Namakanta Lake
length - 40.8 miles
southbound - 2200 feet
northbound - 7100 feet

Map 2 The south end of Namakanta Lake to the West Branch of the Pleasant River
length - 43.3 miles
southbound - 4800 feet
northbounbd - 4800 feet

Map 3 - The West Branch of ther Pleasant River to Monson
length - 30.4 miles
souhbound - 5500 feet
northbound - 5100 feet

Total
- Katahdin to Monson
distance - 114.5 miles
southbound - 12500 feet
northbound - 17000 feet

My databook gives the distance from Abol Bridge to Katahdin as 15.1 miles and you can subtract out the south/north difference from Map 1 to get 4900 feet.

But I figure if you walk the 100 miles, you'll more than likely hike the last 15 to the summit of Katahdin.

BTW: you can by the maps and books from the ATC here. Definately worthwhile material.

Last edited:
Pammy said:

Pam

According to my trail log which is 15 years old, so relos would effect this the elevation gain is far less than the other half of Maine.

The MATC guide has a great trail profile which should answer that question. But my numbers show that from the Kennebec at Caratunk to and including Katahdin the total gain is 22,000 feet.

Pleasant Pond Mt 2477
Moxie Bald 2630
Breakneck Ridge 1440
There are four or five low bumps requiring a 500 foot climb on each between Breakneck Ridge and the climb of Barren Mt
Barren Mt 2670
Fourth Mt 2379
Third Mt 2069
Columbus Mt 2342
Chairback Mt 2219
unnamed +250 feet from col of Chairback
Gulf Hagas Mt 2683
West Peak 3181
Hay Mt 3244
White Cap 3644
Unnamed 1750
Little Boardman 2024
Potaywadjo Ridge 800 appx it is about a 400 foot ascent
Nestabunt Mt 1500'+
Rainbow Ledges 1500' +
The Big K You are climbing about all of it Abol Bridge is a bit above 500 feet

Like I said your best source would be the MATC AT guide

Papa Bear's numbers are more recent than mine and since I logged it from the river the numbers I have include a few more mts and 36 more miles. I guess it depends on where you actually start. But for the 100 mile wilderness Monson makes more sense.

Thank you Thank you!

Thank you so much PapaBear and AntlerPeak for taking the time to type of the mileage and peak names for me. GREAT help! Planning this for next July with my Brother. :)

Stay at "Antlers," you won't regret it. :)

A beautiful peninsula site on Lower Jo-Mary Lake.

And, though it's been nearly ten years now (I hiked Jo-Mary Rd. to Abol Bridge when I was 16), I remember Nestabunt being a steep little climb with a rewarding view. Also, I thought Rainbow Lake was a gem.

The other problem is there are too many nice places to camp. If you have a lot of time you can stay at many of them. We had a magnificant sunset on Nahma---- however you spell it, Lake. Absolutely beautiful. Crawford Pond, Rainbow lakes and on an on. Have a great trip go slow and hog it down!

I just did this back in August and it was a blast, I'm going to do it again next year.

Antler is right, there are so many nice places to camp, but bring a tent/tarp as there are a lot of people out there are times. I was only able to stay in a shelter for 3 or 4 nights, the rest of the time the sites were full.

I have hiked the AT southbound from JoMary Road to Monson (ME 15). I used my altimeter accumulator on a daily basis and compiled these figures.

JoMary Road to West Branch Ponds Road. 13.8 miles 2,330 feet
West Branch Ponds Road to Katahdin Ironworks Road 14.5 miles 3,150 feet
Katahdin Ironworks Road to Cloud Pond Lean-to 12.2 miles 4,460 feet
Cloud Pond Lean-to (including climb up from Cloud Pond lean-to to AT) to North Pond Tote-Road 16.0 miles 3,340 feet
North Pond Tote-road (including 1.1 mile climb up from Elliottsville Road) to ME 15 (north of Monson) 5.3 miles 1280 feet

My complete report and how I broke down the trip is located on the Whiteblaze.net board. Link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15784 . Unfortunately, I did not hike from Abol Bridge to JoMary road as my wife was recovering from an angioplasty and I met my group at JoMary Road. I called them at Whitehouse Landing to confirm my appearance at JoMary Road. Link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9423 Also see my photo albums for JoMary Road thru ME 15: Album 1 and Album 2

GPS Coordinates for start of 100 mile Wilderness

Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the start of the 100 Mile Wilderness in Monson, ME?

Thanks!
Pam