Crawford Notch Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
An ice climber was rescued by a local guide after falling on Frankenstein Cliff.

Click here for story from Union Leader.

Ouch! Very easy to injure yourself with crampons - irks me to see less experienced cramponers hopping down from steps and such.

cbcbd said:
Ouch! Very easy to injure yourself with crampons - irks me to see less experienced cramponers hopping down from steps and such.
The cold hard ice also makes climbing and walking with crampons a bit harder too. Might suprise some who are used to warmer softer ice...

Doug

DougPaul said:
The cold hard ice also makes climbing and walking with crampons a bit harder too. Might suprise some who are used to warmer softer ice...
Stepping on bulletproof ice is definitively a more proactive process (stomping hard on each step). And placing tools is just... a never-ending Greek wedding reception.

Lucky people were close by, people, Mark Synnott is one of the best & well knowned climbers, mountainners going. :D

Mike P. said:
Lucky people were close by, people, Mark Synnott is one of the best & well knowned climbers, mountainners going. :D
Frankenstein is a very popular area--there are almost always other climbers around. But certainly one cannot count on having one of that caliber at hand. (On the other hand, I'll bet that the local guides often come here with their clients.)

Doug