Windham High Peak (Catskills) 2/17/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
Saturday started as a bright, sunny day. I got a late start, after dropping off my son at his job. I enjoyed the views of the Catskills, across the Hudson as I drove up Rt. 9G. I snapped a picture as I crossed the Rip Van Winkle Bridge.

I arrived at the Peck Rd. trailhead and prepared to start my hike. Since there was one other car in the lot and they had already started out I opted for using my MSRs without the tails. As part of my preparation I walk of trail and found the snow was well above my knees. Just as I was preparing to leave a car pulled up. I spoke briefly with the young man. I found out that he was waiting for 2 of his friends. They were out for a 2 night stay. I warned him to be prepared for unbroken trails between the summit of Windham and the Batavia Kill lean-to.

I began my hiking at 10:20 AM. My car thermometer read 20 degrees. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was a perfect blue. The trail was broken, but still soft, my snowshoes were a little smaller than the party ahead of me and I figured I weighed more since I was sinking in a bit more. I kept a steady, moderate pace. In about 15 minutes I started to sweat a little so I removed my hat and gloves and unzipped my jacket. I continued this way until the trail junction of the Elm Ridge & Escarpment trails

Since no one else from Rt. 23 had yet joined the group of three in breaking trail I added the 8" tails to my MSRs. I also remove my jacket. My top half was now just in my long-sleeved polypro shirt. It was a little cool so I moved on quickly. I was soon comfortable. I just kept on moving at a moderate pace. The decision to add the tails was the right one, and it was considerably easier walking in the already broken trail.

I soon came to a dark pine forest, it looked a bit spooky. The camera did not do it justice.
About a half mile from the summit the trail gets steeper for a short section. Just as I was 3/4 of the way up the steep section I passed the group of three returning from the summit. I thanked them for breaking trail. The stretch from here to the summit was more gradual but the side hilling was a bit annoying. Eventually I reached a nice view point towards the South. I stopped and enjoyed the views. I was expecting to need to put my jacket on, but the sun was so warm and there was no wind, so I just sat and enjoyed the views and enjoyed a snack and some hot cocoa. I left my pack at the view point and continued to the summit, a few hundred feet further and then on to another view to the East several hundred feet further. There were also a few views to the north along the way. I was a little disappointed that the views were hazy, considering the perfectly blue, cloudless sky. It had taken my about 2-1/2 hrs to reach the viewpoint. I spent another 1/2 hr with the breaks and bagging the actual summit. I turned back at the 3 from my start time.

After 15 minutes of my descent I crossed path with a solo hiker. We spoke for a minute of so. He had come up from Rt. 23. breaking trail up to the Elm Ridge trail Junction. I was making good time on the way down. About half way down crossed paths with the group that was gathering at the trailhead as I left. They were traveling slowly with their full packs. I kept moving, before long I was back at the trail junction. Just past the trail junction I past an older couple out enjoying the woods. I saw some small ice formations at what I think is the spring marked on the map. As I neared the trail head I noticed some ski tracks in the snow. Before long I was back at the trailhead. It had taken me less than 1-1/2 hrs. for the descent. There were two men just leaving, they must have been the skiers. They asked my where I had just been, so I told them I was at the summit. They seem quite amazed that I had been up and back in less than 5 hrs. I was just happy to have completed another winter peak on a gorgeous day.:)

Thanks for the report. I agree with you about that pine forest section. Spooky, even on a sunny day.

Good TR. The skies sure were a deep blue on saturday ...... I like your photo of Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole.

rhihn said:
I agree with you about that pine forest section. Spooky, even on a sunny day.

That's my favorite part of this hike. It's been referred to as the Enchanted Forest and MirkWood, among other names. And I believe it was Mark Schaefer who posted that it was a reforestation of Norway Spruce 60 or 70 years ago.

i12climbup said:
That's my favorite part of this hike. It's been referred to as the Enchanted Forest and MirkWood, among other names. And I believe it was Mark Schaefer who posted that it was a reforestation of Norway Spruce 60 or 70 years ago.
Nice TR and pictures. There are three Norway Spruce plantations on old farm fields along that section of the Escarpment Trail above the junction with the Elm Ridge Trail. It is a beautiful stretch of trail, a favorite of many hikers. There is another plantation along the east side of the Elm Ridge Trail from Peck Hollow, and one additional plantation not on any trail further east, but still on the southwest slope of Windham HP. They were planted 1934-1937. This is info from The Catskill Forest: A History, by Dr. Michael Kudish, page 134. He also notes that there was originally some balsam fir, a native species, in the plantations which oddly did not survive while the non-native Norway Spruce did. The book has a large fold-out map which details the locations of these and all reforestation areas in the Catskills.

Ian,

The 'Enchanted Forest'. One of the most quiet and peaceful places to take a break in the mountains. If you don't expect it, kind of eerie after the bright, open woods on either end of it.

And Mark, thanks for the reminder on Dr Kudish's book. I bought it after seeing you, Tom, and Laurie refer to it and him so often. Its a gem for those who enjoy the Catskills.